My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Verified but not in search results - 8 weeks later

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client's site not showing up in map results for relevant searches.  I know that this is a common complaint related to a host of potential problems, but this situation seems somewhat unique.  There was a great deal of difficulty in verifying this business, but that was finally completed on January 12th.  In that verified listing, this is unchecked - "We deliver goods and services to clients at this address" and a zone with a radius of 35 miles was implemented to include the departure point for the tours.

Business name: N2 Alaska

Business Address: Talkeetna Alaska.  Left unchecked: "We deliver goods and services to clients at this address." so there's no street address.

Phone Number: 907-616-1010

Google Map URL:  https://www.google.ca/maps/place/N2+Alaska/@62.2778153,-150.3675583,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x56...

In my opinion, this business should be showing up in the map results from a Google search for "Talkeetna flightseeing tours" but it's not whether the search is Google or Google Map Maker.  A search for the business name displays results in Google, but not Google Map Maker.

There is one other possible significant factor.  There is another listing for this business that is not verified, owned by someone else and we can't get that owner to delete the listing, at least not so far.  I have management access to the unverified listing but I can't delete it.  I didn't think that would prevent the verified listing from showing up, but I'm not completely sure about that.

There are only four other businesses that turn up in the results of a search for "talkeetna flightseeing tours".  It's not a matter of too much competition.  It should be showing up in those search results by now as a business listing without an address and without the directions icon.

It seems like there's something missing, or yet undone.  Can anyone offer some insight into what the problem might be?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Verified but not in search results - 8 weeks later

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Alan M

would you please mind explaining me what your issue is?

And please explain me the supposes issu  based on this screen capture shwoing your business on Google

Screenshot 2017-03-02 at 17.50.05.png

And this GMaps  link: https://goo.gl/maps/6oUEiTFuJUH2

and its screen capture showing it as a service area business with hidden address:

Screenshot 2017-03-02 at 17.49.09.png

Your listing have been btw created according this HC Article:

_________________________________________________________________________________

Attention: Google decided in their fathomless wisdom changing in March 2017 their system of notifications about new threads or responses in the GMB forum to a very worst behavior. This way they corrupted my workflow entirely. Don't expect I will notified about any new response by you on my posting here unless you're using the mentioning functionality on your new response - mentioning me per " @[my name]"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler

Here's the actual issue - the map search results show this - N2 Alaska should be in this list by now, even if it's at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 10.58.55 AM.png

In case the image doesn't appear, here's the link:

https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA504CA505&espv=2&q=talkeetna+flightseeing+tours&npsic=0&...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alan,

It's important to consider how Google is determining which listings to display to the user in Maps. This is primarily based on relevance (how closely the category and keywords match to the search query), prominence (number of reviews, social interaction, and other such factors), and proximity (how close your location is to the user's).

Just looking that screenshot of search results I can see that your competition has put work into getting positive reviews specifically on their Google listing. Since Google's latest update to the way they are displaying reviews, you'll only need to get 2 reviews for this star rating to appear. I would start by focusing on getting reviews here and continue to compare your overall digital presence to your competition and shift strategy accordingly.

It looks like with a marginal amount of effort you could easily push into the top three.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate your response.  You suggest some valid points about positioning the business.  It's my experience that things like reviews, etc are important but not essential to the business appearing in the results.  There are hundreds of businesses without ratings, without social interactions, and even without websites that appear in the map search results.  They might not be at the top, but they are at least in the results.  It is my belief that this business should appear in the map search results by now for "Talkeetna flightseeing tours" even if it were at the bottom of the results, as it is a verified business that is relevant to that search. 

In any case, I'll ask him to get some legitimate reviews from former customers, as it won't hurt as long as he doesn't overdo it.  Hopefully, that causes it to appear in the results soon.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Helmut Geissler,

I was hoping for a reply from you, as you seem to have a great deal of knowledge in this area.  What steps would I have to take for my client to at least show up in the relevant map search results now that they are verified - even if that's at the bottom of the results?

Alan

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Alan M

its pretty hard  to answer your question as it belongs to the grey area of ranking.

Google never comments on any ranking issue as per referring this article:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091?hl=en

I can't say much more.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Helumt Geissler.  I'll continue to search for the answer.