My Business
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Using Keywords in Company Name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have come across a company in Urmston on the Google+ search called Smarter Heating Services Ltd. (Boiler Repair and Replacement Urmston, Flixton and Sale) using keywords to gain a search advantage in areas where the company wishes to trade. https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Greendealboilers1976/about

I believe this page violates user content and policies and their use of keywords gives them an unfair advantage in local search results out of their area.

This page has been reported this problem to Google+ several times, and this page still comes up in search results in different areas.

Is there anything that can be done further to stop this malpractice?

Regards

John

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Keywords in Company Name

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John, I made the edit and posted in the map maker forum for a regional lead to review the change. Hopefully that'll get the name corrected, I'll post back when I hear back. In the future, you can correct changes yourself by following this guide, written by one of the top contributes here.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James, many thanks for your prompt reply. I await your response back in due course.

Regards
John
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author john r
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

All done, thanks for keeping an eye out for spam. Like I said, I didn't do anything you couldn't have done (check out Joy's guide above) so if you see any spam in the future, feel free to tackle it yourself. If you see a bunch of it though, or have trouble getting a change going through (it's often normal for it to take 3 to 4 weeks) then you can come back here. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello James,

I've encountered the same issue as John, the topic author. A company is using keywords as the title of the listing instead of company name in order to gain a search advantage in areas where the company wishes to trade.

You can see the real company name in the whois info of the domain linked to the listing (organisation field). I've tried to tackle the issue myself but the changes didn't go through. Can you please take a look at the listing bellow and help me with it? Thank you for your help!

https://www.google.ro/maps/place/Separatoare+Grasimi/@44.491313,25.8590227,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Cristian, 

In the future, you'll get better help by starting your own thread. It helps us keep things organized, and it makes it more likely that someone will see your post and respond. 

I took a look at the business, and I'm not sure that they're abusing the name field. After all, in the Google Guidelines it says:

Your name should reflect your business’ real-world name, as used consistently on your storefront, website, stationery, and as known to customers. Accurately representing your business name helps customers find your business online.

It looks like this business is using the same phone number as a lock picking business (Deblocari Usi) but I didn't see any other obvious name the grease separating business was using anywhere other than the whois data. It's not unusual for US companies at least to have a name they're legally incorporated with, and then another DBA they use publicly. I don't really know Romanian, so it's possible there's obvious proof there I'm missing, but I think you'll need to ask in a new thread and see if someone else can see something I missed. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Cristian,

A romanian here:) I've looked at that listing and I can confirm that something is not right. If you search on google search "the name of the business -separatoare grasimi-" the Google My Business listing doesn't appear in the search results. But if you search -separator grasimi- probably the targeted keyword, the listing appears in the search results. The same thing with the listing found by James. Maybe James or other Top Contributor can take a closer look. I'm facing the same issue in my field and I'm amazed how easy google my business can be manipulated and how hard is to find info and ways to combat this kind of abuse.