My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Unit designator in secondary address in business listing changed to "#"

ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

https://plus.google.com/114395338000829289021/

The Transit Riders' Authority

I see that a number of people have made a similar complaint.

The correct address is

211 S Clark St Unit 529

Chicago IL 60690

USA

Recently, I noticed that the address line was changed to

211 S Clark St #529

In US Postal Addressing Standards, "211 S Clark St" is the primary address and "Unit 529" is the secondary address. It is preferred that both the primary and secondary address appear on the same line. I know this practice can vary from country to country.

The postal addressing standard for the US is found in this document:

http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub28/pub28.pdf

There is a list of standardized secondary unit designators in Appendix C2. Please note that "#" is used if one is unable to determine the secondary unit designator, but that's not the case here. Given that the business owner has stated "Suite" or "Unit" or another standard designator, please use the business owner's choice of designator.

Like other people, I request that Google eliminate the automatic process that's been changing the designator to "#". I've edited the listing several times, but it keeps reverting back.

1 Expert replyverified_user

ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

To follow up on my own issue, I had to speak to Google Customer Service on an issue affecting another location. While I was on the telephone call, he was able to change the secondary unit designator back to "Unit" per my instructions.

That leaves open the question: Will the designator revert back to "#" the next time the automated process is run, or will Google rewrite that automated process so it stops doing that?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

your word and requst in the ear of the GoogleGods @ahk

Re: Unit designator in secondary address in business listing changed to "#"

ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for passing along my request. If someone decides to change the policy, will they inform you of it directly, and if you hear, will you reply again in this thread? I'd appreciate it.

I just got off the phone with customer service due to a problem with my listing for a second business: A second ZIP Code was added to the listing so it showed two ZIP Codes! Aargh. I edited the listing in my account, then called customer service to get them to finalize it on their end. While on the phone, I was able to see that the change took effect.

It seems that when I make a change to the profile, it's sent to someone else to re-enter the input I provided. Two people performing input increases the chance of error.

We'll see how long these edits last in the two profiles before the "#" reappears as the secondary unit designator.

ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
ahk
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My address displays in several different ways.

On "card view" of locations I manage

211 S Clark St Unit 529, Chicago, IL, US

On the listing's dashboard, next to the pin:

211 South Clark Street #529 Chicago, Illinois 60690

The pre-directional and street suffix are spelled out, and so is the state name.

If it's next to the pin, does that mean it's from Map Maker?

In the display box on Google Search and on Google Maps and Google Plus contact information

211 S Clark St #529, Chicago, IL 60690

That's three different ways my address is shown to me but apparently one way to the public.