My Business
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Type of Brand page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to create a brand page from my website.  When you click on the brand icon, you are directed to create your Google+ page.  The last box asks Type of Page with the following options Product or Brand, Entertainment, Community or Other.  However, I cannot find any explanations on how to make the best selection.  Are these types of pages defined somewhere?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Type of Brand page?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Here's the closest thing to an answer in Google's help docs, though this page isn't all the way up to date. It still gets the point across though. 

https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1710600?hl=en

Here's the gist. Making a community vs making a brand page is sort of like the difference between making a facebook page, and a facebook group. In other words, a community is intended to be more like a mini forum about a particular topic. It sounds like that's not what you want. 

Entertainment is for making a page about a book, a TV show, music, a movie, a sport's team, that sort of thing. Choose this if you run an entertainment based company. 

Product or Brand is just what it sounds like. It's the official page for a business or product you represent.

'other' is for when your case doesn't fall into any of the above categories, and allows you to just enter your business name and website without having to choose one of the categories. 

Without knowing more about your business I can't make much of a recommendation, but I imagine 'brand or product' is probably the one you should pick. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jennifer B

@james w has given you a great answer on the new types of Brand pages, but there's just one thing that I wanted to clear up.

Selecting the type of page = community, won't actually create a Google+ community. That is done elsewhere on Google+. If you select the community type, you'll be creating a brand page that is for a real life community organisation.

Think sporting club or local knitting group - something along those lines. That brand page could then create a Google+ community like James mentioned, or simply post updates and photos on their regular Google+ brand page. 

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks @PriyaC! I appreciate the clear-up, I'll remember that for next time. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @PriyaC,
This helps clear up my confusion!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @james w,
I appreciate your response and the descriptions you provided were what I was looking for. @PriyaC cleared up my confusion about communities.