My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Two separate businesses at same address offering the same services - both lost listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I hope that someone can shed some light on an ongoing issue we've been trying to resolve over the past few weeks.

We were previously listed top in the maps results for 'web design macclesfield' however our listing disappeared completely overnight.

We have not conducted any black hat SEO work on our website nor have we fabricated any business listings. Any directory listings were done manually by selecting relevant, suitable directories when we set up the business over two years ago.

We were told by a Google representative that it was due to the fact that we weren't keeping our Google Business page up-to-date. We have some good reviews on there and regularly update our Google+ business page when we launch new projects.

We were then told that it was because there was two businesses listed at our address which offer the same services. The other business is a completely separate entity to ours but they have also lost their maps listing.

In response to hearing, we have changed our address so that it is now 12A as oppose to 12. We have also updated all of our citations with the new address. We were told by Google that this would be sufficient and not to register a new business. Even though we have done this, we have not re-appeared on the maps listing.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as this is having an impact on our new business enquiries. Here's the links to our sites and listings: 

http://www.shoga.co.uk/

https://plus.google.com/+ShogaCoUk

12A Chestergate Macclesfield SK11 6BA

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Two separate businesses at same address offering the same services - both lost listing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Graham R, your situation is likely related to this update that @JoyHawkins wrote about here - http://searchengineland.com/everything-need-know-googles-possum-algorithm-update-258900 

As far as I know, changing the suite # is not going to make any difference. Have a read through that article and I am sure Joy will take a look as well.

Thanks

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Two separate businesses at same address offering the same services - both lost listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Colan,

Thanks for coming back to me. 

This certainly sounds like the cause of our sudden loss of maps listing.

It's disappointing as we've always done everything right and it appeared as though we were being rewarded for our efforts.

Google's official response is always 'keep on optimising your business listing' but it appears unlikely that this will resolve the issue...

Thanks,

Graham

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Graham, 

Rather than clicking on a Link which doesn't provide any info and take you to a 404 page, and rather to rely on theories and hear about Google updates, here is what i would do to get a definite answer, and solve the issue.  

Login to your Google my business, and select manage my business, then from the footer, will select contact, there should be an option to call google support. Will proceed with the phone support, and you will get a very good positive answer., try to get in touch with someone who speaks fluent English, usually the support team from US, they do go the extra mile

Colan please check your URL before sharing it, not sure that is Google Friendly,.

Re: Two separate businesses at same address offering the same services - both lost listing

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thank you for providing a great suggestion @Mike G GMB support is always worth a try. 

Thanks for pointing out the broken link. This should work https://www.google.ca/amp/searchengineland.com/everything-need-know-googles-possum-algorithm-update-...

This article was written by a fellow GMB Top Contributor. Joy has looked into more specific cases of this problem than anyone out there. So this article is the best place to get an understanding of the issue.

Cheers

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky