5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Two listings for my business - best way to remove one or merge?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few years ago I moved my office location to my home address, and started a new Google business listing at the home office, alongside the studio address, rarely used for work. Now I want to completely close the studio address, and what I have of course is two listings for completely the same business name. Both have reviews, which is the main reason I haven't just completely removed it already! What is annoying, is the old location is what shows up when you Google my business name.

In fact, I did once remove it, then found it still showed up as a business pointer on the map, so I went and re-claimed it thinking if it's there anyway it might as well have photos etc attached!

Is there a way of merging two businesses? Or closing one business listing completely and stopping it from appearing on the map? I'm asking current clients for more reviews now, so the old reviews going won't be too bad, but I really don't want to damage my google ranking or anything!

Is there anyone at Google I can contact to handle these things?

If you search 'Lavenham Photographic' the address in the village of Lavenham is the one shown, no longer the business address. I guess having the village name in it makes it seem the more likely result. Like I said, even removing the listing it still pointed there as the location!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Ben B I know it's been a few weeks since you posted here - is this still an issue for you or have you been able to resolve the problem?

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I've not actually had any response to this (as you can see!) Rather than remove the listing for the old address, I just changed the address, so I actually have two business listings at the same address right now. Can I merge these?
I'm pleased that the old address no longer shows on Google Maps anyway, as that was now misleading

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben B
2d

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

ok @Ben B so you have two listings, with the same address in your dashboard is that correct?

If so, then you actually need to delete one of those listings from the dashboard so that it shows up as unclaimed in Google Maps. Then contact GMB Support and ask them to merge the two listings as duplicates. They won't merge two claimed listings, which is why you need to delete one from the dashboard first.

To contact GMB Support: https://support.google.com/business/contact/local_pages_editing_help_acc

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. If I delete a listing, will it's reviews still be there to merge with the other listing?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Ben B yep. All that happens to the listing is it will be 'unclaimed' in Maps and so you won't be able to respond to reviews, but they will still be there. Then the merge will see the reviews move to the other listing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm a little scared to continue! When I click remove this listing, it says "Are you sure you want to delete..." All content will be removed... This is correct just to unclaim it, yes?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @PriyaC,

On a related note, I'd like a TC's take on the current situation I have with GMB Support regarding merging duplicate GMB listings.

Atkins Kroll is a new and used car dealership on Guam that sells Toyota, Lexus, and Chevrolet vehicles at 443 South Marine Corps Drive Tamuning Guam 96913.

Here is our main business listing, Atkins Kroll Guam, Inc.:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Atkins+Kroll+Guam,+Inc./@13.4891698,144.786574,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1...

We would like the support team to merge this with several duplicate listings, which are "Atkins Kroll Toyota" and "Atkins Kroll Used Car Sales". Note that these listings share the same physical location and building.

However, their response was:

"Thanks for reaching out. We've checked the listings in question and found that our support agents were unable to merge "Atkins Kroll Toyota" and "Atkins Kroll Used Car Sales" into "Atkins Kroll Guam, Inc." because these are other services that your business provided. Departments within the business may have their own listings on Google. Know more about this: https://goo.gl/sa5K5m"

Can a Car Dealer listing not be merged with another Car Dealer listing? Are we wrong to assume that one of the three car brands we sell shouldn't take up an entirely separate listing?

I would really like the community's take on this situation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Priya, can I just check, even though it says I'm about to delete the listing, even though it says 'Yes I want to delete this  Google account and all it's data' it's actually just un-verifying it?? The fact it says 'delete this google account' makes me not want to click continue!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Ben B

I'm not Priya, but I can personally vouch for "Remove this listing from your account" simply being un-verifying it and removing it from your dashboard. I have tried it with my similar issue and the old reviews were unaffected. 

Experts in the Topic
PriyaC