My Business
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Two Google+ Pages

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Two Google+ Pages

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Solved

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jess C
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

For anyone else looking at this, here are the cleaned URLs that won't endlessly redirect you:
https://plus.google.com/103615199564063237039
https://plus.google.com/109033369872641376482

So a few things I noticed before answering your question. The first, that first link I posted above (to your Bowral location) looks good, it's verified, but it's a service area business. Was that intentional? It's fine if it was, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an accident, since Architectural firms often have offices they want to make it easy to get directions to. If you're by appointment only though and don't have a secretary available during stated business hours to take calls and walk ins, then you have the correct setting made. 

The second listing for the Belconnen location is more problematic... it's detached from maps. I'm not sure if you made it in the wrong place or what, but it's definitely not what you need. You'll want to go to the Google My Business page and create a new page. Since the page you posted above is just a ghost page that's not connected to maps, creating a new one won't count as a duplicate. 

Alright, now to answer your real question. 

Every Google My Business page for a local business is going to have it's own area to make posts. You can't merge, and you can't have one corporate feed that propagates out to the location posts section. What you can do though, is have a corporate page, post there, and just direct people to follow you there, and to leave your location posts section a little less taken care of. To be perfectly honest though, unless you've already done the research to show that your target audience is active on Google+, there's a really good chance the whole question's moot. I don't know many business owners that get any ROI off using Google+ as a social channel. You're a lot better off exploring what platforms other successful architectural firms with active social followings are using. This IS a good question on Facebook for a lot of businesses though, but they've got a little more of a system there for having a corporate feed that the location pages direct towards. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the detailed answer!

Both our offices are appointment only, we generally meet our clients at their houses so we can see how they live. Also, if it's a home extension or knockdown/rebuild we need to know exactly what we're working with so there's not much point them coming to us first.

We're still waiting for the postcard with the verification code to arrive at the Belconnen office. I assume once it's arrived and the account is verified, we'll be all set on that front because we went through the same process for both offices (the Bowral one only arrived yesterday so I'll give it a bit more time before I send out for another one).

You're right about Google+ being quiet, I just don't want our Google MyBusiness Locations to get deleted because google pings us for having 'duplicate' Google+ accounts. For architects, the best social network is definitely Houzz.com.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Oh man, I just noticed you're using PO Boxes... I'm going to go ahead and ping @PriyaC just in case there's not some special Australian thing that's going on, but if PO boxes means the same thing over there as it does here, even your original verified listing shouldn't have gotten past the filters.

It's perfectly acceptable to use your own home as a service area location, though the line starts to get grayer when you talk about multi-location business. You're definitely not going to be allowed to do that without more than one phone number... if you truly are a multi location business (say, you have two primary public facing architects that both take calls and clients separately) then it'd be fine, but depending on the situation I'm not so sure that you're entitled a second listing at all. You'd definitely need a second phone number in any case, though don't try using an employees (or family member's) house as a second location unless there's an actual honest to God presence in the second city. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Whoops, snuck an addendum in without seeing you'd responded already. To answer your reply... if you have two (valid) locations and two different phone numbers, you don't need to worry about having the same name for both locations and getting either marked as spam. I remember reading someone claiming a few months ago that they ran into problems for not being active enough on their posts section of their Google My Business page, but everything else I've seen personally and everyone else I've talked to points to it having no impact at all. Feel free to make your page, put in some awesome pictures and so on, and then completely ignore the posts section indefinitely. It shouldn't help or hurt your rankings in any way. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah we have staff in both locations, none of that's an issue.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Right on. Why are you using PO Boxes then? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We aren't?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Oh, I see my mistake. I looked on your website and saw you had PO boxes listed and made some assumptions it looks like. There's no way for me (that I'm aware of anymore) to see the actual address you were using, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that you're using a real address since you were able to get the first location verified... I'd still definitely get a second phone number though just to avoid problems down the road, especially before you start doing any citation building. 

Long as we're in this deep, might as well go a few steps more since I'm here. 

A good best practice for a service area business that wants to keep their actual address private (lot of people working from home too, so that's an important consideration whether or not it applies to your locations) is to include a nearby cross street or something and leave it at that, instead of using a PO box. If you wanted to leave a PO box so people could mail you physical things, a good way to help Google keep from getting confused is with good Schema markup. I see you have Schema on the site already, but it's not set up correctly. Read this article, it'll help you get squared away. I personally like setting up sites with locations kept separate (a section of the site for your Belconnen location say, and the NAP for the other location everywhere else) and then link one location to the home page and the other to it's specific location page. Since you only have two locations though, what you're doing is acceptable, though your JSON-LD snippet is going to be a bit more complicated and you're going to have to account for having the two numbers somehow once you get the second one. Since you're using a single page website, might be easiest just to keep it as-is and figure out how to organize the two numbers and so on, though if you ever add a 3rd location I'd give an even more hearty recommendation to switching to location landing pages. 

Either way, false alarm! Looks like you're on a good track.