My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Two Businesses at Same Address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've done my research in your community section and I'm still a bit confused about adding an additional business two one location.  I'm a bicycle sightseeing tour operators that has partnered with a bike rental company.  The are owned and operated by a different company and I have a space within their shop to sell my tours.   I was going to use a Unit B prefix with the address information when adding the info into google my business but I come to a point in the process when I'm unsure or not clear on what will happen if I continue.  I've attached a screen print of the prompt.  It shows the information of the Business that I run my tours from, if I select "Keep the information I entered" prompted will this delete the business information that is showing on the screen print?  My business has a different name, category as well as phone number and website then the business that currently is listed at this location.

I hope this makes sense.  Would this be the best way of going about adding my business to Google My

Business.  Thanks so much

My Business Name :  Bike Tours Victoria BC

Address 685 Humboldt St Victoria BC V8W 1A6

Business Phone 250.891.8545

Google Plus Url:  https://plus.google.com/u/0/108711112588951563476/posts

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Is4mm-WdmWmR4YUJMWfR9l55Uk6yf0XWjCWi3HRPbqA/edit?usp=sharing

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt O
June 2016

Re: Two Businesses at Same Address

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Matt

Ideally the two businesses will have a different mailing address - but making up a suite is not a good idea. Use the real address.
The prompt you see is Google's way of letting you know another business is at the same place you're registering BTV.
Click the "keep the information I entered" at the bottom and it should let you continue, without deleting the existing business.
Make sure your category does not conflict with CBCR.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Margaret,

Thanks so much for the answer, I'm still a bit worried that it might delete my biz partners information but will continue ahead and see what happens.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a similar question Margaret. The company I am working for, Spearhead Creative shares the same office/warehouse/address as Advent. They are both in the same industry but decided to share space to cut cost and this gives them the advantage of sharing resources on big projects.

How do you do a listing without the two merging since they are both in the same industry. Will a different phone number be enough? Most post and forum are about two different business in one address. What if they are two business with different owner in the same industry sharing office?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Peter

Unfortunately Google's guidelines don't really cater for the kind of situation you describe. The reasoning likely has to do with spammers.

GMB is one source of customers, there are others. You will probably have better results and a whole lot less of a headache if you focus on those.

For future posters - please start your own thread. Adding to an existing thread can confuse the conversation no end.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This older 'Solved' thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Google My Business Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

@Margaret O asked that I send you the following information because she needed to correct what she'd sent prior to this thread being closed. 

The advice I gave you was out of date and I'd like to correct that now.

The situation you described of having two companies working out of the same office is OK.  It does have a few conditions, but as long as you follow the guidelines (be a good Internet citizen) you should be able to get and keep a GMB listing.
  1. The two companies must have different brands   (Spearhead Creative & Advent)   
  2. The two companies must have a different phone number   
  3. The two companies must have different staff    
  4. Use separate domain-based emails to own / claim / manage the listings (e.g. email@spearheadcreative.com &email@advent.com)
  5. Both businesses have independent online profiles    
  6. Separate branding on the premises.    
Please know Google do a range of background checks that they don't disclose, so it's important what you're doing is completely above board. 

Keep an eye on the listings as there is potential for Google to think the two businesses are the same. 

You may also need to submit images of the branding on the door/premises to get the listing verified or to sort out issues if they arise. I've had that request from support on several occasions.

Good luck!