My Business
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Transferring reviews/follows to new page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

A client of mine is having problems with their Google+ page's custom URL - their parent company has flagged it for being out of compliance with their guidelines. I'm under the impression that because there's no way to correct the URL beyond caps or accents, I'll need to set up a new page for them. If that's the case, is there any way to merge the information (reviews and followers, specifically) from the current page to the new one I'll be setting up?

I'm also wondering if Google might flag the new page as spam since all of the contact information will be the same as the current page. Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kelsie M.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Transferring reviews/follows to new page

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I see. So I see two possible solutions.

As I mentioned, you can contact Google support. This may be a good enough reason to change the URL for you.

If that doesn't work, I can check with the community manager here. Or, if you remove the page from your account and then reverify, it should have a new URL. That option comes with risks though.
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Don't set up a new page. That will cause more harm than good. How big of a change does the URL require to be compliant? Google support may be able to help. I suggest getting in touch with them.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We'd have to change the entire text of the google+ url to be compliant, unfortunately. And could you explain why it'd be harmful to set up a new page?

I've just never heard of anyone actually being able to change their custom url once it's been set, though this would solve our whole problem. I'll see if Google support might have a solution for me. Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Setting up a new page is risky becasue you risk creating a duplicate page if it's not done correctly.

Can you share the current page URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, I see what you mean. here's the current URL: https://plus.google.com/b/105702755733852885413/+DIRECTVAuthorizedDealerStGeorge/about

Basically the issue is that the parent company is named in the URL, and they've recently let us know that this is against their policy.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I see. So I see two possible solutions.

As I mentioned, you can contact Google support. This may be a good enough reason to change the URL for you.

If that doesn't work, I can check with the community manager here. Or, if you remove the page from your account and then reverify, it should have a new URL. That option comes with risks though.