My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

The picture google uses when someone searches

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Searching for my company Fressy Bessie is perfect and all going right except for one thing.  There is a picture associated with my name and it is one of my products but it isn't the picture I want to be in that primary spot.  How do I change it? 

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/101051339346578152274/+Fressybessiefood

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ryan K (Community Manager)
March 2016

Re: The picture google uses when someone searches

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @JACKIE K,

Google doesn't actually let you choose what's in that list... it decides on it's own with an algorithm, and no one knows exactly what that is. That said, there are some things you can do to influence what shows there. 

First up, here's an older, but still relevant article that explains roughly how Google decides what to show. It might answer a question or two about why you can't choose yourself what's going to appear. 

I've heard that using Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) You can demote pages, as a way to hopefully encourage Google to not show them in the sitelinks section. That's definitely not a guarantee though, so feel free to try it but it might not work. 

A better thing to think in terms of... Google shows the pages that are easiest to get to, and that get the most traffic. If you have other pages you'd rather show, do a little thinking about how to make those pages a little more likely for people to visit, and maybe even do a little more backlink building to those pages if that's something you know how to do well. I suppose as an extreme step, you could even make the pages you don't want showing uncrawlable for Google, but then they'll stop showing up everywhere, even if people are hoping to find those pages directly using Google, so that might not be a good idea, depends on what you want to accomplish. 

Sorry there's not a better answer. 

Also, it looks like @Helmut Geissler was able to help you get your main image straightened out, but another thing that can help too if you add those other pictures back and want to make sure that main picture you want is what shows... there's an option where you can encourage Google to pick your profile picture. Here's an image showing how:
setting new main image.png

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@JACKIE K

this is the view I get just clicking your above page URL:

Screenshot 2016-01-30 at 22.14.03.png

And this is the view I get if googling for "Fressy Bessie":

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, I decided to delete the picture and all the others so I got the picture I wanted.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also, when my website comes up there are a bunch of my tabs I put on my website that list under my website. How do I choose which ones google chooses. Also the picture you posted above is from google plus - I'm talking about the results you get when you google my business name -- fressy bessie

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Also the picture you posted above is from google plus - I'm talking about the results you get when you google my business name -- fressy bessie

this  is just a mistake I made:

I took  two screenshots:

one is made from your G+ page (in its classic G+ view) and you saw it above.

the other one is made after googling your businss name "fressy bessie" and getting top right your Knowledge Panel

Providing it now again:

Screenshot 2016-01-30 at 22.15.33.png

sorry for the mistake and the delay

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi: No problem. So you see the Fressy Bessie: Healthy Food

Then you see Ordering and delivery baby food
about us Ice Lollies
etc... how do I choose what is in that list?

Jackie
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ryan K (Community Manager)
March 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @JACKIE K,

Google doesn't actually let you choose what's in that list... it decides on it's own with an algorithm, and no one knows exactly what that is. That said, there are some things you can do to influence what shows there. 

First up, here's an older, but still relevant article that explains roughly how Google decides what to show. It might answer a question or two about why you can't choose yourself what's going to appear. 

I've heard that using Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) You can demote pages, as a way to hopefully encourage Google to not show them in the sitelinks section. That's definitely not a guarantee though, so feel free to try it but it might not work. 

A better thing to think in terms of... Google shows the pages that are easiest to get to, and that get the most traffic. If you have other pages you'd rather show, do a little thinking about how to make those pages a little more likely for people to visit, and maybe even do a little more backlink building to those pages if that's something you know how to do well. I suppose as an extreme step, you could even make the pages you don't want showing uncrawlable for Google, but then they'll stop showing up everywhere, even if people are hoping to find those pages directly using Google, so that might not be a good idea, depends on what you want to accomplish. 

Sorry there's not a better answer. 

Also, it looks like @Helmut Geissler was able to help you get your main image straightened out, but another thing that can help too if you add those other pictures back and want to make sure that main picture you want is what shows... there's an option where you can encourage Google to pick your profile picture. Here's an image showing how:
setting new main image.png

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok thanks James. Thank Helmut too.