My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

The Ineptitude of Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

PhoneComputer

Av. Antonio Dominguez 10
38650, Arona
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

922 79 65 57

https://plus.google.com/b/118181742271012200272/118181742271012200272

Where do I start.....

After submitting a local business for a business listing, it was returned for spam reasons apparenty and after discussing on this board, it pointed towards the name of the business being considered spammy so I took it that it was now up to Google to decided what everyone should call their business.

I got in touch with the support staff who went through the listing and said that all I had to do was wait for the postcard to come through.

2 months on and a resend request, I was contacted after voicing my frustration on the whole matter and was told that an experimental video verification could be used to end this nightmare.

That option was received yesterday and an appointement for 9.30GMT was agreed for the call to show the so called experts that the business was not a pie in the sky.

Would you beleive it, no show and not even an apology for the inconveninece and lack of professionalism from any of the Google people.

I find it disturbing that people like these are in charge and have no interest in time and keeping appointments and schedules.

Christmas is upon us and Google is still didling about and gives the impression that many of that staff can't be bothered.

Ah well, monoliths are like that and are sometimes impervious to change.

1 Expert replyverified_user

The Ineptitude of Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update.....

Google finally managed to get around to contacting us and used the video option to validate. I honestly think this is the way to go for future business verifications because it's a lot less hassle than waiting for months on end for a postcard to arrive.

Re: The Ineptitude of Google

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Glad you got that sorted @Peter S

And yes, the video will be a great improvement, they just need to figure out how to pay for it I guess in the long term.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

The Ineptitude of Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Less than 1% of Adwords revenue would probably cover it.:)

Re: The Ineptitude of Google

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Sure, but even a free product needs some form of ROI, and they need to justify it to shareholders after all.

I get what you are saying but when you look at the sheer scale of it, they have to test, test and test again before rolling these things out.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Peter S
December 2016

The Ineptitude of Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually, charging a small fee for a business listing wouldn't be such a bad idea.

It would deter a lot of spam and illegitimate applications which in turn would free up time to concentrate on making the service and features better.