My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Telephone area code

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm working with a client who is not yet on GMB. Their physical address is in Colorado, but the telephone area code they are currently using is from another state. Is this going to cause a problem for GMB? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Telephone area code

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Scott 

Should NOT be from a GMB scenario, BUT from an user perspective you could lose traction. If it was my client, I would make sure I had a Local Area code Number.

ALSO You may also want to consider the Ranking Factors of NAP Consistency - Name Address Phone Number as the citations from local directories etc play a part in who the client ranks beyond their Branded Name..

The main things you want to do is:

1) Make sure the website is also claimed with their owner access Email address ( same they use for GMB)  Claimed through Google Webmaster Tools / Search Console.

2) Then fill out the profile completely and request the verification.

Telephone area code

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you, Eric. I am in the process of running a citations audit as we speak and want to make sure we have all of our ducks in a row before proceeding with those. I've read in other places that having a local phone number is essential, but the client feels that having area codes tied to a physical address is a "20th century concept since the federal government forced the telcos to release phone numbers to any carrier the person or entity chooses."

It's also not really a local product. It's being marketed nationwide on a retail level, although most of its sales are in Colorado right now.

Thanks again.

Telephone area code

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Scott,

then you should be fine,

I would also make sure the Phone number as well as the full address is on the website and use Structured Data markup ( schema data) 

or a JSON schema script.

Intro to Structured data

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/intro-structured-data

testing tool for Structured  Data:

https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool

Telephone area code

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yup, I'm planning on using structured data as well. Thank you, Eric. :D