AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Summers and Seasonal Hours

Not applicable
# 1
Not applicable

Hi I'm with the Good Earth Market & Organic Farms (31806 Good Earth Ln, Ocean View, DE)  and was wondering about setting hours for our summer season.

I would need to create special hours for an entire 5 months which reoccur every year. Is this possible (and realistic) to do using an uploaded spread sheet? It seem like I would need to make an entry for each individual day which would take too long.

Has anyone successfully tried something this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
March 2016

Re: Summers and Seasonal Hours

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When you schedule special hours, there's a little note that shows by your hours letting customers know that what they're seeing isn't what they should normally expect to see. If you've got the same hours though for 5 months out of the year, that little note seems like it'd be a little out of place. Why not just switch the hours at the beginning and end of every summer season? The real challenge with this isn't going to be solved by using special hours anyway: you need to make sure your hours everywhere match. I haven't seen a lot about this, but I do know that having mismatched hours on say, Google and Yelp, can be a trust factor that can potentially hurt rankings. 

I'd love to see best practices recommendations for a case like yours, but if it was me, I'd have a spreadsheet list of all the important citations I wanted to change the hours at at the beginning and end of every summer (along with the website). Maybe pick the dozen most important citations and call it good, based on referrals to the site on Google Analytics (if no one ever comes to your site from yellow pages online, maybe don't bother updating them), and how close to the top those directories show when you search your NAP or something. If you kept all the logins organized, you could probably pound it all out (including updating the website) in an hour, which isn't too terrible twice a year. 

Another option would be to use Yext. I wouldn't normally recommend them (in part because I haven't used them myself) but one of their claims to fame is that they can update all your listings within hours all in one place, instead of you having to wait the normal length of time for your new hours to start showing (some directories are an enormous hassle to update by hand, if you can do it at all). If you want to just flip and switch and have the summer hours everywhere without any fuss, they might be a good pick... they're expensive though, just as a head's up. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
March 2016

Re: Summers and Seasonal Hours

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

When you schedule special hours, there's a little note that shows by your hours letting customers know that what they're seeing isn't what they should normally expect to see. If you've got the same hours though for 5 months out of the year, that little note seems like it'd be a little out of place. Why not just switch the hours at the beginning and end of every summer season? The real challenge with this isn't going to be solved by using special hours anyway: you need to make sure your hours everywhere match. I haven't seen a lot about this, but I do know that having mismatched hours on say, Google and Yelp, can be a trust factor that can potentially hurt rankings. 

I'd love to see best practices recommendations for a case like yours, but if it was me, I'd have a spreadsheet list of all the important citations I wanted to change the hours at at the beginning and end of every summer (along with the website). Maybe pick the dozen most important citations and call it good, based on referrals to the site on Google Analytics (if no one ever comes to your site from yellow pages online, maybe don't bother updating them), and how close to the top those directories show when you search your NAP or something. If you kept all the logins organized, you could probably pound it all out (including updating the website) in an hour, which isn't too terrible twice a year. 

Another option would be to use Yext. I wouldn't normally recommend them (in part because I haven't used them myself) but one of their claims to fame is that they can update all your listings within hours all in one place, instead of you having to wait the normal length of time for your new hours to start showing (some directories are an enormous hassle to update by hand, if you can do it at all). If you want to just flip and switch and have the summer hours everywhere without any fuss, they might be a good pick... they're expensive though, just as a head's up. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why can't Special Hours have a Start/End range, instead of only single dates? We could set Mondays from 26 June to 28 August have these hours, Tuesdays have these hours, etc., that would override our regular hours just during that range. And then still have the single-date entries for any specific dates that we are closed or have special hours, that would override both.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to apply seasonal open and closed business days by date as our business is closed in the winter and open in the summer. If I were to close the business for now the message shown is permanently closed. This is misleading and anti-business like. We should have the option to set schedules with a date range and a message for when the business is closed for seasonal purposes like "closed for the winter" or "temporarily closed" or "off season". This is most definitely true for all businesses that operate seasonally, and I can assume that it has been requested from many business owners alike. This issue should be further investigated and acted upon by google besides giving me a complacent, automated or polite customer service response. This needs to happen. Thanks, BT (Please forward this message to superiors, that can actually make this happen - politeness is always welcome:)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Agreed.  I run a summer camp and google keeps emailing me to tell me that my hours may be different.  Please let me post hours for June through  August!!!