My Business
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Suggested Change for GMB Removes Valid URL

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I help to manage the Google My Business account for a dentist.  We've fully claimed, optimized, and verified his GMB account, including adding his URL to the website field.  For some reason, however, the URL keeps disappearing; Google either refers to suggested edits (the edit shows the URL with strike through) or the website is simply missing when we login.   When we search for his name, his information shows in the Knowledge Panel but with no website.  His site is also missing from organic search results. 

Here's what we've done, so far, to try and fix this:

1. Added the URL back via Info tab.  The URL temporarily sticks; however, when I refresh the page, it goes back to being struck through. (see attached screenshot)URL continues to be struck through even though it's a valid and live website.URL continues to be struck through even though it's a valid and live website.
  2. Suggested an edit via the Knowledge Panel in Google search results. The submission appears to be accepted; however, it still doesn't stick.
  3. I've checked Google Search Console and there were no manual items/no obvious issues.

Do you have any idea as to why this may be happening?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Notice from Google under Info tab in GMB

Updates from Google
This location has updated information from Google users or other sources. Review these published updates to make sure that they're accurate.
3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Emy H

We are here not playing "Blindman's buff"

and since your issue is a conrete issue we need concrete information to help you properly.

Please include the following with your question:
1. Full business name
2. Current business address
3. Current telephone number
4. Google+ or GoogleMyBusiness URL

5. the rejected website URL

Re: Suggested Change for GMB Removes Valid URL

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Helmut Geissler

Sorry about that -- it's my first time posting! Please see below for the requested information:

1. Full business name: Hatem Abdelhadi, DDS
  2. Current business address: 3532 Howard Avenue, Suite 101, Los Alamitos, CA 90720
  3. Current telephone number: Main Phone: 562-364-7763; Alternate Phone: 562-493-1421
  4. Google+ or GoogleMyBusiness URL: see below for links
  5. The rejected website URL: http://www.drhatemdental.com/ 

Hatem Abdelhadi, DDS Google Links

Google Search

Google+ Page

Google Maps

Please also see attached for additional screenshots including (1) change history in Google Map Maker; (2) Google My Business "info" tab view; and (3) Google search results (Knowledge Panel does not include website button; gives "add website" suggestion). 

After submitting the correct URL, I refresh this page and it goes back to this view (URL is crossed out)After submitting the correct URL, I refresh this page and it goes back to this view (URL is crossed out)It appears that Google deleted the website on 9/1/16It appears that Google deleted the website on 9/1/16It appears that the website was accepted by Google on August 17, 2016It appears that the website was accepted by Google on August 17, 2016Screenshot of SERPScreenshot of SERP

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Helmut Geissler

I am also having this issue with the following site:

1. Full business name: Kaete Archer, MD
  2. Current business address: 1513 South Harbor City Boulevard, Melbourne, FL 32901
  3. Current telephone number: Main Phone: 772-212-4343; Alternate Phone: 321-206-8985
  4. Google+ or GoogleMyBusiness URL: see below for links
  5. The rejected website URL:  http://www.archerfacialplastics.com/

Google Search

Google Maps

Google+

Also, any idea as to why Google deleted the "plastic surgeon" and replaced it with "doctor"? 

GMB Edit ViewGMB Edit View

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

at first the bad news @Emy H

Both of oyur about mentioned websites are somehow bad and prevent to get accepted by GoogleMaps and as well from MapMaker or GMaps for Business listings.

In other words: they will rejected for what ever business listing someone will use this sits.

(I tried both of them on ,y own test listings and got both rejected as well)

Now the not so bad news:

I created an article summarizing my findings about such rejected websites.

Here we go

Note: the article starts about http and https 

but this is not the only possible reason Gooel considers the website not ok for GoogelMyBusiness pages.

Read the entire article and even the last parts about webtolls and search consolse.

Make sure your website is clean.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Helmut Geissler

Thank you, again, for the very quick reply! Is this a recent change that Google has made to its GMB guidelines/requirements.  I noticed that several of my other accounts who do not have "https" still work just fine? Let me know!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

as already said:

I'm not (and the article doesn't either) saying the only possible reason is the missing ssl enabling.

There could be many reasons.

Can't tell you more about it as I don't know the algos behind the scene

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Helmut Geissler I tried it too and mine also got rejected immediately. I'm asking the other Regional Leads if they have any insights.

I believe  @Mike Blumenthal  also submitted an escalation for this so it will be interesting to see what he hears.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@JoyHawkins@Mike Blumenthal & @treebles

I will sent you a private mail regarding rejected website escalations

Have all  a great Thanksgiving tomorrow

Accepted by Mike Blumenthal (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Emy

Google has notified me that they have fixed these two sites. I checked and they have been fixed. 

Let us know if there continues to be a problem.