My Business
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Special Hours in Google My Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

When we set-up "special hours", for example, in our case, for special events in October and December.  

When will these dates and events actually show-up in the hours display?  I assume the listing will show-up in the "open today" area, on that day.  Will advance notice also display, ie. when a user expands the hours, will the special event show up there too? If so, how long in advance?

Also, the converse, when we indicate that we are closed on a certain date, how does this affect the displayed hours.  Does it override the usual listing for that week?  For example, if we are going to be closed on a Wednesday and create a "special hours" listing , how and when will it display that we are going to be closed on that day or date? 

If we are going to be closed for several months and that is the only date that we are usually open, then how would entering a series of closed dates (3 months worth) affect our displayed hours of operation?

We are a Farmers' Market and open one day a week, Saturdays, 18 weeks a year, plus a few special events.

It would also be nice if we could attach some text to the special events, to give a very short description of those special hours.  In our case, examples would be; closed for the season, Christmas Market, Harvest Market, Spring Market, Opening Day, etc.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Special Hours in Google My Business

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Cumberland F

If you haven't already then I highly recommend reading Google's Help Article on this topic as it may answer some of your questions. That said, I thought some images might also be of use.

Firstly 'labels' will only appear if the special hours have been set for an official holiday (as recognised by Google). So in my case, ANZAC Day is a public holiday here and I've indicated that I'll be closed then so there's a label in green on my listing:

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 9.22.36 AM.png

This cafe hasn't made any changes to their hours so their listing looks like this:

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 9.23.35 AM.png

If I choose to use the special hours option to mark my business closed on a day that is not a recognised public holiday then there'll be no special label - I'll just be shown as closed.

Advance notice is only provided within 7 days of the day you're looking at the listing. For example, I can see when a business is open between now (Monday) and the end of the week (Sunday) but tomorrow (Tuesday) I'll be able to see if it's open next Monday as well.

I hope this answers your questions.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog