My Business
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Some Business Categories Not Showing Up?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, I have a question regarding changing my business category. Our category is currently set to "Car Wash", and I'd like to change it to be a "Car Detailing Service". In all of the top results for local detailers their category is set to "Car Detailing Service", so I know it is a registered category. However, when I try to change my category it won't let me! It says "We didn't understand your category. Please select from the suggestions that appear when typing.", which makes no sense given that this is a totally legit category and thousands of detailers are listed under it?

Thanks in advance!

Full Business Name: Cleen Detailing
Current Business Address: 600, 515 Legget Drive Kanata, ON
Current Telephone Number: (613) 875 2536
Google Maps URL: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Cleen+Detailing+-+Mobile+Car+Detailing/@45.3470547,-75.9191147,17z/...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Cleen D

I checked Googles list of categories and found the category you're seking for listed in the list of cats for US and UK but apparently not in the Canadian list 

I'm checking with few folks whether for Canada is any good alternative or not.

In case the category is entirely missing for your country I have to escalate this to Google (and will do then too).

Please hang in patiently until I come back to here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Cleen D

FYI:

1# I escalated the missing Canadian category "Car Detailing Service" to Google  ( # 338 )

2# an other TC tried adding the correct category through MapMaker - but this isn't yet approved.

We nevertheless expect it happen soon.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Cleen D

I sent this to a MapMaker Regional Lead to approve but they need more information before they can change it. They need some type of evidence that you're at that location because there are several other businesses claiming to be in the same suite as you and they needed to rule out that this is a virtual office (which is not allowed). 

Here are a couple of the other businesses using that suite number:

https://mapmaker.google.com/mapmaker?gw=39&fid=0x4cd1ff925e787761:0x856ddf71e56f7479

https://mapmaker.google.com/mapmaker?gw=39&fid=0x4cd1ff92f17956b1:0xf64bb01e01d865ef

If you can send me some photos of your office there that would help get the edit approved. 

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Re: Some Business Categories Not Showing Up?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joy (@JoyHawkins),

We are actually operating out of Rockport Networks (which is in suite 600) for the summer (the business is seasonal as me and my partner are students). This is the CEO's e-mail: dcawardine@rockportnetworks.com. He can confirm our operation there for the summer, as I am currently not living in Ottawa, and am living at school!

I hope this helps, let me know of anything else I can do to help expedite this process.

Thanks,

Sawyer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@JoyHawkins Just retagging you because for some reason the tag above didn't work.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler,

Thanks for you quick help, do you know of a rough ETA of when these changes are usually implemented? Are you also able to keep me looped in on the forum when it does get updated?

Sawyer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update: My category was just suggested to be changed to a Valeting Service... Not really what I had in mind

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Cleen D - according to Google, Valeting service is the category in Canada, equivalent to the category Car Detailing Service in the US. They are both associated with the same name in Google's backend: gcid:car_detailing_service

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Joel H There are other car detailing services in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada with the category "Car Detailing Service"... just search "Car Detailing Ottawa"