My Business
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Site is No1 in Google Places but does not show in generic listings?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there, first I will get the essentials out of the way:

1. Picture Hanging Solutions
  2. 4 Henry St, Brighton East, VIC 3187 Australia
  3. +61409 000 399
  4. https://plus.google.com/+PicturehangingsolutionsAuMelbourne

I maintain the presence on the Internet for Picture Hanging Solutions.  I have been having a few issues for a while, which all started when we were not automatically charged for our domain and lost it for roughly 2 days.

Initially we came back up in the "generic listings" (not paid adwords) but our meta description had disappeared entirely.  Currently if

site:picturehangingsolutions.com.au

is searched for, then the top listing appears as it should, with a carefully measure description:

image1.png

Something that happened in the later part of last year, is that we started getting listed in a "Google Places" style view when using our most common search terms, the down side of this has been that we lost our generic listing at the same time:

image2.png

Now, what seems to have happened is that simply the top three generic listings have been displayed as "places" listings.  That's fine as long as we don't lose the generic listing, except we have.  Ideally we would like to appear in both such as "Hangin' with Phil" does as seen above, he has the second places listing, but the top generic listing.

If it came down to it, we would prefer to be at the top of the generic listing and not in the places listing instead of the top of places listing and not the generic listing.

Any ideas or help? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Site is No1 in Google Places but does not show in generic listings

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Matthew, I know there was a problem a few months ago with Google not properly indexing Wix sites and it sounds like this might be related to that. For truly expert advice from people who work on website issues day in and day out I recommend posing the question in the Webmaster Central forum: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/webmasters Sorry I can't be more help here.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

HI @Matthew S

This is an interesting question - normally we get people asking how to get into the Local 3 pack (the list right below the map) as that is seen as the prime spot to be if you're a local business. :)

However, your question appears to be more about your organic listing, rather than about local search and how to rank there.

Certainly there seems to be a problem with your website as even a direct search for your business name doesn't bring the website up on the first page of organic results:"picture hanging solutions melbourne"

Have you checked Webmaster Central (now Search Console) to see if there are any issues with the site? Also, when did you last get the site indexed? If you lost access to the domain and had to rebuild site, then it's possible Google needs to be encouraged to re-index the site.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Priya,

Thanks for your reply, yes, I can imagine that this deviates a little from the norm. I tried to explain to the business owner that there are worse positions to be in, however there has certainly been a decline in the number of calls that have been the result of the google listing since the organic listing disappeared, so I need to sort something out, that's for sure.

There are a few issues, but I'm not sure they can be fixed, as the site is created through the WIX In-Browser Website Editor. Nothing has changed on the site since before this started happening, so I'm not 100% sure it is the site that is to blame (unless something has changed in the background).

I have certainly submitted the site to the index a few times over the past few months to see if it would make any difference, but sadly to no avail.

I can see 10 Crawl Errors, consisting of 9 "Not found" but no errors are listed, and 1 "Other" where also nothing is listed.

Otherwise I can't see anything to indicate there is a problem.

Is there anything else you can recommend?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Matthew, I know there was a problem a few months ago with Google not properly indexing Wix sites and it sounds like this might be related to that. For truly expert advice from people who work on website issues day in and day out I recommend posing the question in the Webmaster Central forum: https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/webmasters Sorry I can't be more help here.