My Business
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Should businesses stop posting content and video on their page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Now that all is shown is the photo, contact info and reviews should businesses just stop posting content and updates on their Google My Business page?

For example here is a small Bed and Breakfast with limited time and resources and she has consistently added relevant content and video to her page. It looks like now that less is being shared about the business is there any benefit for her to continue to post content like this? 

See the page here:

Big Mill B&B

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Should businesses stop posting content and video on their page?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Martin,
It seems to me that the only value to share posts and videos would be if the business has an active Google+ following, since that is the only product that shows the Google+ Local page.
Both, Maps and Web searches, stopped linking to the Google+ Local page some time ago, so the only content of any value in those products are photos and reviews.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for your answer. Did Google ever make an effort to let these business know this? I think would have been a good idea. Maybe I missed it. -- Be well, Martin Brossman

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Martin,
No, you did not missed anything, we all found out when the links to the Google+ Local pages disappeared from Maps and Web searches at which time we asked what was going on and found out that Maps and Web search ditched Google+.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Do you think anyone at Google thinks how that damages to their trust in the eyes of business when they make changes without clear education and notification? I hope so. From my experience most people see reviews from other locations than Google so make it more confusing does not help them compete. -- Be well, Martin Brossman

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a great question Martin. While there's clearly still value for any local business having a Google My Business page for local search, the benefits of using that page socially through Google+ have been greatly diminished. I think the usual rule of thumb applies with social media, i.e. go where your prospective customers are. That tends to be other social platforms these days.

For a small B&B you could certainly make the case that G+ could still work, especially with Collections and all the various travel related Communities that exist. But it comes down to time, budget and resources.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I respectfully disagree, quite a few Googler's I talk to state, that keeping a page updated regularly does assist in Search.

Another thing is personalized search. As a B&B you have guests that more than likely have a gmail account. I would encourage them to follow your G+ page, and also write a review about their experience. Reviews show in Map listings, also in the Knowledge Graph (right side of search).

When a user has followed you, any content you put on your G+ Page has a 90% chance of showing at the top of their search results.

A use case scenario: I stay at your B&B. I am travelling back to NC, I search for "places to stay in NC", you have a post about this topic. The chance of my seeing your G+ post is almost guaranteed.
Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Ben F for your response. I still can not understand the wisdom of Google removing all access to these more complete Google My Business pages and the wisdom of Google not explaining this to businesses. Confusion does not tend to build more trust. I am hoping I am missing something.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
You are not missing anything. Google is as Google does. Their communication skills are limited by their paranoia and their engineering mindset. That being said their separation of Local from Plus has been occurring steadily over the past 2 years. It's been a consistent and steady change. http://blumenthals.com/blog/2015/05/13/google-continues-debranding-local-google-maps-app-becoming-lo... http://blumenthals.com/blog/2013/06/17/the-debranding-of-google-local/