My Business
1.1K members online now
1.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Should I have a local page for an online business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My business currently has a verified local Google+ page and a brand page. They were set up separately by the two directors of the company.

We are an online Software-as-a-Service business, selling our product only within NZ. We don't have a physical store.

My understanding is that we shouldn't actually have a local page as we're not technically a local business.

However, we've seen some benefit from having the verified local page as it means that when people from our region are searching for relevant keywords, we show up in the maps results at the top of page one in google (it also shows our phone number, which is very helpful).

Our two biggest competitors from the region also show in those maps results.

Are there any downsides to keeping the local page, but leaving it as is and focusing all of our posts and attention on the brand page? (I'm wondering whether google might rank us lower in search results outside of our region if it thinks we are only a local business?).

Any advice on the best approach would be very welcome!

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Should I have a local page for an online business?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello Jake,
Online only businesses are not allowed in the Local database, so they will be removed once found by Google or reported by users.
You can report your competitors if they are also online-only businesses and have a Local business page.

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for clarifying. What's the process of closing down or deleting the local page? Is there any way of merging it with the brand page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also, how do I report my competitors?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Did you verify it through Google My Business?
If you did, probably it would be more efficient if would contact My Business support and tell them to delete the business listing from the Local database since it does not qualify for a Local listing.
Once gone from the Local database you could delete the unverified Google+ Local page from your dashboard.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Search your competitor's by their business name on Maps and report them as explained in this help article.
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks!