My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Service business still shows my hometown even though the options say it will hide the home address

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I've set up a business listing for a service based business that DOES NOT operate from my home, which is the registered address of the business.  Having followed this google support doc for my scenario, I have stated the areas that the business serves, and have left the "I serve customers at my business address" unticked.

My understanding is that this should hide the address from the public listing.

However, when I check the listing, it still shows the hometown of the business registration address (my home) - I do not want this to be shown at all.  Is there a way to also remove this?

Thanks for your help.

P.S.  By the way, I know the thread guidelines ask the poster to give full details of the business in question, however given the point of my enquiry is that I'm trying not to expose publicly any personal details relating to my home address, this is the reason I have not included the specifics here.  I hope someone is able to help with my question even without this information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
June

Service business still shows my hometown even though the options say it will hide the home address

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I don't believe it is possible to hide the city and state/province from your listing. Without that distinction on your listing, being found by anyone would be very difficult, and in the end, what would be the point of having the listing?

For example, if you were a plumber in New York and didn't have any address or city, and someone searched for Plumber in New York, you would never show up in their searches as the algorithm focuses on the closest local business entities. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David P
June

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

I don't believe it is possible to hide the city and state/province from your listing. Without that distinction on your listing, being found by anyone would be very difficult, and in the end, what would be the point of having the listing?

For example, if you were a plumber in New York and didn't have any address or city, and someone searched for Plumber in New York, you would never show up in their searches as the algorithm focuses on the closest local business entities. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks.  Yeah, I think I've discovered that even a service listing that DOES NOT operate from the registered address, still will show up the registered business town / area under the google listing.

Taking your example, lets say I live in a very small village outside of New York with a small handful of inhabitants, but I'm a plumber who serves New York city.  I would register my business at my home address in "Smallville", but configure my listing to say that I cover New York City.

Searching for a plumber in New York City would then reveal my business listing.  However, under my business title it would suffix it with "Smallville".  Say my website shows my face, so now I've just advertised on google that I can be located in Smallville, and here's a picture of me if you want to look out for me there.  That's the issue with this google "feature".

Clearly, it depends on the sensitivity and reasons behind wanting to not reveal ones home location in a public listing, but the point being it would be good to have the choice to have a public business presence without giving away your home town.  By the way, my particular example is not in the US, but in Hong Kong, so this may be where the difference is.