My Business
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Service Area Business Where the Area is different to the Address

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I have a Cleaning Franchise client where their Franchisees may be allocated a service area that is different to their registered address. e.g. They may live in Norwood, but they service clients in Burnside.

I have set them up as service area businesses and entered the suburbs they service.

However, it seems the listings still show up better for the business address than the serviced areas. As the listing shows the address suburb it is also causing confusion from users who assume that is where they service. The service area map is only shown in a few scenarios.

It's already caused one review being added to the wrong Franchisee.

Is there any way I can make things work better?

The only idea I can think of is to add the service area to the business name so that people can instantly realise if the business is relevant to them. Would that be within the current business name guidelines?

There will be cases where multiple Franchisees will show up in the one result, so including the suburb in the business name would also help people pick the right one.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony McCreath
June 2016

Re: Service Area Business Where the Area is different to the Address

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tony - good to see you here!

Unfortunately adding a suburb name to the business name is against guidelines: "Your name must not include: Location information, such as neighborhood, city, or street name, unless it is part of the real-world representation of the business. "
(https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en&ref_topic=4540086 - Name section)

This is a situation where unfortunately GMB's assumption that if you're located in an area, then that is the area you serve as a business, just doesn't work. The only way I can think to differentiate your different franchises is by photos - add as many photos of the different franchisees / branding / serviced areas etc as you can - this may help people locate 'their' local franchise a bit easier.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Nice to be here :-)

I was hoping it would come under "unless it is part of the real-world representation of the business". As it's the real world place they service ;-)

I like the idea of the Franchisee photos. What's the rules related to including the service area text in the photos, banner or logo?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Tony

Do they use the suburb as part of their business name? For example is that how they are branded? If so, then they could perhaps use the suburb name in the GMB listing but it would need to be backed up with photos of business signage etc. otherwise they do run the risk of getting a search penalty.

Photo guidelines are here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3060029?hl=en&ref_topic=4540086

Good luck! :)

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'll have to double check on their branding policy, and what is publicly show. I know a few franchisees have created listings of their own and have not followed the rules, so that's also part of the tidy up plan.

Thanks