My Business
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Seasonal business - Closed part of the year

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

We operate a season farmers' market, which will be open from June 11 to October 8, 2016, with a few specials events and irregular / additional dates in April, October and December.  We are only open on Saturdays, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.  (www.cumberlandfarmersmarket.ca)

With the Spring weather, we have been getting phone calls (on Saturday mornings) from people asking us if we are "open today", as they have seen our hours posted as such on the "website" (which is our google listing).   I have added text saying, "Opens June 11", but people still focus on the "open today" area, as that is likely the question they are looking to answer when they look us up.

As a temporary fix, I have now set our Saturday hours as "closed" and set fictional hours on a week day (Wednesday), as there isn't an option allowing us to be closed everyday. This way, at least it will not indicate (open today) on Saturdays, the day people are most likely to looks us up. 

We will change the hours back when we opening in June. 

The "set special hours" function, does not seem like it would be a good tweak, to allow us to fix our particular situation.

Any other ideas or suggestions? 

A simple change would be for google to allow us to indicate a business as being closed everyday, without being permanently closed.  An option with start and end dates, for hours would also be helpful, as many business change their hours at different times of year. 

Setting special hours, day by day, for the months that we are closed does not seem like a good fix. Not sure if the system would allow that many "special hours" - 8 months = approx. 32 closed days.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cumberland F
January

Re: Seasonal business - Closed part of the year

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can always pick a day and be open from 2:00PM to 2:01PM on that one day only. So you hopefully will not get a customer waiting to enter your business for that one minute you say you are open every week.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Setting special hours, day by day, for the months that you are closed
should work. The system should allow that many "special hours"
But I agree its bit inconvenient to specify such an amount of special hours.

Unfortunately your other ideas to overcome the current restrictions are not
realized.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks. It would be nice if they came up with a solution for business such
as ours that are seasonal and for others who may not have a traditional
brick and mortar operation, with regular hours per say. I will see if I
can work around it, with the "special hours"...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Very Inconvenient for the seasonal business.  Seems like I have to mark my business permanantly closed or leave hours up.  It will not let me "save" when I set it at no hours and no days open.  Major issue for small business.  If there is something I'm missing please help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree I'm trying to put mine at no hours and it won't save.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cumberland F
January

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can always pick a day and be open from 2:00PM to 2:01PM on that one day only. So you hopefully will not get a customer waiting to enter your business for that one minute you say you are open every week.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

2.00AM to 2.01AM?

You need to replicate in Website as Google uses that as primary source for checking.

Google may scrape over hours from other web directory hours. May need fix on those all the time and say 'See website for opening hours' maybe.

Say in the Description when you re-open.

Andrew.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Or just use the Description to say 'Closed until date' or 'Open from date to date'. Second preferable if lots of web directory entries.

You can use the new Post feature on GMB to announce one off dates open, and social media ideal for that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have the same situation - It's unfortunate that customers can't get accurate information due to the schedule format.  Please fix this.