My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Searching my business by address drops number and gives wrong location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Safe & Vault Services.

264B Greenhills Industrial Estate

Greenhills Road

Walkinstown

Dublin 12

Ireland

https://plus.google.com/+safeandvaultservices/posts

If you do a search on google maps for my business by name, the correct location is given (see 1st picture below)
However, if you do a search on google maps by my address, an incorrect location is given (see 2nd picture below).

It seems that when you search by address, the warehouse number is dropped from the search and only the Industrial Estate location is given (i.e. "264B" is ignored by the search and only "Greenhills Industrial Estate" is searched for and displayed). This is despite the full address being shown in when you search my business by name.

I have had potential customers tell me they cannot find my warehouse because of this, it is effecting my business, how do I fix it?

264B Map.jpgSAVS Map.jpg

I have also found out that if you click on the "Nearby" button, after getting the result for the general industrial estate (1st Image), and then search just for "264B", that the exact and correct location IS given as the result. Meaning that "264B" and the "Greenhills Industrial Estate" are properly associated with my business, just not if you search them both at the same time.

Is that how the system is supposed to work? That's crazy if it is, because it would mean that people are expected to search twice to find a location.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Searching my business by address drops number and gives wrong loca

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
From what I understand your first screenshot showing a search for "264B Greenhills Industrial Estate Greenhills Road Walkinstown Dublin 12" doesn't show a result for an "address" but a result of an item or so to say a "place"
And this "place" is shown up as "Greenhills Industrial Estate"

The address of this place seems considered by GMaps being just "Greenhills Rd
Dublin 12
Ireland"

It's a pitty as we can't investigate this issue as a (by me supposed) address issue b/c MapMaker isn't yet available for Ireland

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply Helmut, that does seem to be what is happening.

It's very much a pity as Greenhills Industrial Estate has an extremely haphazard numbering system for the warehouses (I'm 264B, my neighbour on one side is 4, the other side is 1, we constantly get people coming into us looking for other buildings in the estate). I have tried sending feedback through google maps but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Will,
Does the road have a name?
Currently, Google Maps has listed the road your business is on as an Unnamed Road
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3144485,-6.3341341,18z
It starts at the intersection with Greenhills Road

Google Maps would not understand the address as listed on Google My Business as a valid address.
Greenhills Road Walkinstown,
Greenhills Industrial Estate, Greenhills Rd, Dublin 12, Ireland
The names Greenhills Industrial Estate and Greenhills Rd. are repeated in the address
It seems to me that it cannot be the address given by the local government agency to that plot of land.

The address you provided in this post
264B Greenhills Industrial Estate, Greenhills Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12, Ireland
is not known to Google Maps either. When the given address for the search cannot be understood the result returned is for the part of the address that can be understood, in this case the Greenhills Industrial State

treebles, Google My Business Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi treebles,

The Unnamed road is "Greenhills Industrial Estate", as is the road perpendicular to it (that makes a "Y" junction with it), it doesn't have a street name as such itself.

Greenhills Road is the main road, that forms a T-Junction with the Unnamed Road and leads up to the big roundabout.

I have tried fixing the street name on Google My Business but it wont accept my changes properly. If I put in the address line by line the map moves the location icon to the centre of the estate. It accepts manually moving it back and seems to accept the correct address, but some time after saving and leaving the edit page on Google My Business, it reverts to the repetitive version.

So the problem seems to be that Googgle Maps doesn't understand that "Unnamed Road" and "Greenhills Industrial Estate" are one and the same? How can I go about fixing that?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Will,
The problem is that Greenhills Industrial State is the polygon/area that represents the estate itself, the only way would be to provide a name for the road, but it seems that the estate just does not name the road, it identifies the location within the estate by the door number.
Would the address be
or
Greenhills Industrial Estate
264B Greenhills Road

Who is responsible for assignment of street addresses in the estate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi treebles,

The address is 264B Greenhills Industrial Estate, Greenhills Industrial Estate is the name of the road, as well as the estate.

Greenhills Road is the main road parallel to the estate, that leads to the roundabout.

I have no idea who is responsible for assigning street address in the estate.

I have tried updating the name of the road on google maps (reporting a data problem via feedback), maybe that will help if it is accepted.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Yes, wait for the review of the road name.
If it is approved you can then create a street address for the property as explained in this help article.
https://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/1731390

Let us know if you need further assistance.