My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Searching for my business criteria locally won't show up on Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I type in terms that I've included on my Google Business listing such as Brantford (the area we are located in) Dog Walker, we don't show up on either the first or second pages. In fact none of the criteria seems to be activating in terms of any searches for the areas and terms we've listed. It's only when I search for our company name, The Pets & People Co. is when it shows up. Why is that and how do I fix this?

From what I can tell everything is in order and the keywords, terms etc are appropriate, as well as our address and location, what am I doing wrong?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

We cannot see into your listing as we are volunteers.

Can you provide the details asked for in the blank post.

There seems to be a GmB search result already for

The Pets & People Company

And I see that 5th in search

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-b-ab&q=dog+walker+brantford&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rldoc=1&r...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response. To which blank post are you referring Andrew? 

Re: Searching for my business criteria locally won't show up on Google

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

When you first make a post here it has grey? writing saying what information to include in the post. Once you start typing it disappears.

Just like it did for this reply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking Andrew and I see now grey writing in the post. What information do you need from me to answer my question?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

They only appear on the first post.

Business name

Phone no

Address

And a URL of a search which you say does not show what you expect please.

Ta. Andrew.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Andrew, here is the pertinent information:

The Pets & People Co.

519 771-2231

52 Norman Street Brantford ON CA

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=webhp&source=hp&q=brantford+pet+companies&oq=brantford+pet+c...

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

For 'pets boarding in Brantford ON' you come 5th

and for 'dog walking in Brantford ON you come 7th.

The no 1 result has both 'categories' in its name.

https://www.google.ca/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=659&site=webhp&tbm=lcl&btnG=Search&q=...

https://www.google.ca/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=659&site=webhp&tbm=lcl&btnG=Search&q=...

Unfortunately Google rank listings better where the one Category allowed matches the name. And where the name has another popular 'category' matches that.

There was a buuilder whos name was 'Abc Construction and Design' he used a category of 'Contractor' and did not appear in search for 'building construction' though he came 4th for 'building design'. I am afraid the young people who program Google my Business are not very good at their job.

One way to improve rankings is to write good descriptions of what you do. You need to work on small ones where only a little description is allowed and bigger ones elsewhere.

You need to go through the text search results below the box and ensure you are in other directories the ones above you in the box appear in so you match their ranking from those entries which Google takes into account.

Pets and Claws has a listing made up by Google from these other listings alone.

Beattie Animal Hospital is not even in your categories, they must have descriptions else where with your categories in or google regards theirs as a synonym.

Also website ranking helps.

You need to get references to your business from news and social sites. Doing a monthly PR release with an interesting story about a pets experience would help. And posting location enabled photos of pets you walk when you pick them up from your clients address, to show the area you serve. being active on Google+ profile and Facebook will help.