My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

SEO effects of cutting and pasting Google+ Reviews onto a website

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In a phone discussion with a Google My Business support person some time ago, I was told that I can and should copy the reviews on my Google My Business page onto my website, that doing so would not only not hurt my SEO on Google, but would help it. I was quite skeptical of this advice, however, and chose not to implement it. I was wondering what the advice of some of the experts on this forum regarding this might be. (Especially now that it seems like a strong possibility that Google may remove my reviews from my Google+ business page once their new beta is no longer a beta.)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: SEO effects of cutting and pasting Google+ Reviews onto a website

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Chuck B,

I love this question. Disclaimer- I am not an expert on this forum. However, I have come across this several times in my SEO-adventures. Let's start with Google's official statement on the policy-  

"ImpersonationDon’t post reviews on behalf of others or misrepresent your identity or connection with the place you’re reviewing."

The first part, "Don't post reviews on behalf of others", is clear and speaks in opposition to what you were told by the Google My Business support person. I'm not 100% on the implementation of this policy. Since we don't have exact dates, it could very well be historically what support told you was true.

For SEO/duplicate content purposes- it is likely best practice to simply embed the reviews or create an image of the review for other online real estate. Now whether or not you can get away with posting duplicate reviews, which I think is your real question, is subjective. Let's say hypothetically you got your customer to repost on your behalf. This would be handled on a case-by-case basis, arbitrated by the spam filter's opinion in the relative environment.

The bigger picture- if you are fortunate enough to get your customer to leave a review on two of your online properties, they will likely be willing to adhere to a request to make both reviews unique in content.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi

In the case of "duplicate" content, there is no penalty, rather a filter in search results to prevent the same content being displayed.

Google does not mind you displaying other content, as long as it is clearly attributable to the originator.

So in your case, copy and pasting ... not such a good idea. But if you embed the review, then this is attributed to the originator and this is fine.

You could also pull the reviews via Google API and this would then update your reviews automatically on your site from your business page. The api allows for the 5 most recent ones to be displayed. ( again the api attributes the originator of the site )

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks everyone.

I'm not quite sure the distinction between pasting vs. embedding as far as attribution is concerned. If I was to paste the review on my site, it would be attributed to the person who wrote it, the same as if I embedded some kind of code that I got from Google. In both cases, the review winds up on two different sites with a correct, honest attribution regarding its author.

The obvious disadvantage with embedding, as I understand it, is that I need to duplicate every single review from my "About" page into the Google+ "Posts" page (see Craig's "embed the reviews" link), thus having to have it now duplicated in three places: twice on Google+, once on my website via the embed code I copy from the posts. Google's fine with that?

Yet… maybe this is a solution to another looming problem: the Google+ redesign seems destined to remove my about page, and thus my reviews, which are the most (maybe even the only) valuable part of my Google business page… maybe in either case it's a good idea to start porting them over the the Posts page before they disappear completely.

Any thoughts?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chuck B
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you copy and paste you are not saying who the original publisher is ( only who wrote it ), or are you going to link back to the google business page review.

Difference is between author and publisher.

Yes if you want to embed a review you have to publish it, but you are not duplicating again, its on the same URL.

Just use the api, far simpler

In terms of disappearing reviews ... hmmm, this is still in beta so sit tight and see where it ends up. My suspicion is that business pages will be migrating to maps.

They will still be displaying reviews, because they are actively encouraging reviews with maps local guides, so there will have to be a place that the owner can view, moderate and reply.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
OK, thanks Tim, so I'll follow the procedure recommended as I understand it: share the review from my About page to the Posts page (via the "Public" tag), and from there get the embed code for my site.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

That is spot on !

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Just use the api, far simpler".

That would be nice. Can you point me/us to the API and better yet to an FAQ (targeting non-programmers) which discusses how to make this work?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There's a service that lets you embed your Google reviews on your website. No need to copy/paste the reviews. Just add a simple javascript code snippet where you want the reviews to show up. Check it out it's called ReviewsOnMyWebsite.com.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, that sounds like a great alternative, I'll check it out.