My Business
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

SABs and service areas, big problem.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having a hard time getting help with this, so thank you ahead of time to anyone with some insight.

My business name is Fail-Safe Cleaning Solutions.

Our address is:

6706 Elmhurst Rd

Amarillo, TX 79106

Our phone number is (806) 477-0459.

Here is our Google+ URL:

https://plus.google.com/+FailSafeCleaningSolutionsAmarillo

The problem I'm having is that I'm completely lost on how to indicate the proper service area for a SAB. By default, my service area was set to a five mile radius. I was getting a few calls this way, but not nearly what I'd expect. I tried increasing my service area to two-hundred miles (this makes sense for what I do) and the calls stopped coming in completely. I talked to a forum user about this. He suggested that having a service area of more than thirty or thirty-five miles is of no benefit to a business and has the opposite effect, so I dropped my service area down to include an area within my state only (63 mile radius) and then down to the thirty mile radius that the forum user suggested.

I think this may have triggered some red flags with Google, as my business has disappeared from the map, replaced only buy a small, blue unnamed marker with a house icon on it, and the calls have stopped again.

So, here are my main questions:

1) Have I been penalized by Google for making multiple adjustments to my listing's service area? If so, how do I restore my map listing?

2) How do I determine my service area if I do business from home, and travel to the small towns around me?

3)Should I just indicate the recommended 30-35 mile radius as a placeholder, or is the default 5 mile radius more beneficial to me at this point?

Thanks to any who can offer further assistance with this!

edit: I'm not even sure how I got the small, blue house icon to show up. I did some more searches, and I can't even find my business on the map now.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: SABs and service areas, big problem.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Jon L

actually your SAB is like below:

Screenshot 2016-10-18 at 21.24.08.png

This radius is in the range of 35 miles I beleive and shouldn't got penalized.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

supplement:

As a  SAB with hidden address you never will get a place label (neither a house icon nor any label else)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My business used to be one that would show up on the map immediately in local results (a red and white marker that can be clicked). As I understand it, this is where a lot of clicks come from. I'm probably not explaining this well, as I really don't know how all of this works, but I'm worried that by changing my service area so many times, Google thinks I'm trying to game the system, perhaps by seeing what service area is most beneficial to my listing, as opposed to indicating what area I actually service.

I called My Business support and got something of an answer. I think what the man told me is that no, Google does not penalize you for that, but that frequent edits can cause your listing to disappear temporarily.

In response to your supplemental input, I didn't choose to hide my address. In the past, my business shows up on the map right where it actually is. Are you saying that without a storefront, I can't have a listing on the map in local results? It seems like that could really kill a business.