My Business
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

SAB concern about size of service area.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was recently tipped off by an SEO company performing the usual "scare to sell" routine that my listing is "due to be removed from Google" because of an issue with the service area it indicates. This is something I missed when I set up my profile. It was set to a five mile radius. I have made enormous leaps to the top of Google for my keywords since setting my listing up, and was still only getting a trickle of calls. I thought this might be the last problem with my listing I'd have to fix to get the flood of calls I'm expecting after achieving a high listing on Google's front page. If your service area is a five mile radius, you'd expect to get very few calls, right? After setting my service area to a 200 mile radius (I strip and wax floors in smaller towns that don't have big janitorial companies, so that's not unreasonable) , the calls stopped coming in completely. After a bit of searching around, it seems like there may be some issues with SABs indicating large service areas.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know why this might cause one? In the meantime, I've dropped the size of my service area to 100 miles, but this still includes areas in other states. Should I reduce the service area to only include my state?

Big, sincere thanks to anyone with some insight. Let me know if you ever need a floor stripped, I'll travel hundreds of miles and give you a good deal. ;)

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jon L
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

we TC's  experienced and have told many users in the past this:

Having s SAB of more the 30 or 35 miles radius is of no benefit for a business.

In contrary it will happen what you experienced: 
The ranking goes lost almost immediately.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Helmut. I have noticed an immediate return to the trickle of calls I mentioned before. After I posted my question, I further reduced my service area to a 63 mile radius (no longer including other states) and have now dropped down to thirty.

I'm wondering now if I should quit adjusting the radius and just indicate a region or zip code. It seems like it's really easy to sabotage your own listing though. Any further ideas on how to best represent my service area?