My Business
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Rose Garden Florist

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am inquiring about Google's policy for fake reviews. I have several fake negative reviews, and was told by a google rep that they will not remove defamatory reviews, even if they are fake and the person has never utilized our business. The rep explained that this person is entitled to his/her opinion, and Google does not mediate such opinions. I have responded to each review, positive and negative, and even the fake new reviews, but they are continuing to accumulate. I don't know who this person is, but they are also impersonating actual customers, by creating fake gmail and aol accounts with our customers' names. It's gone beyond an annoyance, to harassment, in my opinion.

I am a retail florist, and rely heavily on my reputation. I am afraid this will be more of an issue, and want to find a way to fix it before it snowballs further.

Have you had success in removing phony reviews from Google?

Rose Garden Florist

257 South Main St, Barnegat NJ 08005

609-607-9013

https://www.google.com/search?q=florist+08005&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=lcl&q=rose+garden+florist+08005&...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Rose Garden Florist

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracy H

They are correct, Google does not remove "fake" reviews unless the account ( note the account ) and not the name is proved to be fake or used for other malicious reviews etc.

See: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4596773

They  state:

Google doesn't get involved when merchants and customers disagree about facts, since there's no reliable way to discern who's right about a particular customer experience.

Looking at your 3 neg reviews:

The one from Andres we wont be able to get them to even look at.

The Christie one, we may have a small shot as her other review is on the other side of the country.

The best chance is with Felicia. I found her FB page using the same image. Do you know for a fact that this is not her Google+ page. Can you get a statement from her ?

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Rose Garden Florist

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Tim Capper

Thanks for the reply and information. 

I am 99% sure it's not Felicia's account. We spoke in my store about the fake reviews that had been previously posted ( i had posted publicly on Facebook, asking my customers for reviews to bury the bad ones), and she said she had tried to post a positive review on Google, but isn't very technologically savvy. This was two weeks before the bad review. I will ask her for a statement and am fairly sure she'll accommodate. What form should she put this in - email? Make a separate review?

And another oddity : I receive an email and phone notification when reviews are posted.  The name on the notification, and the initial email is different than what is posted, UNTIL I view the posted review, then the email has the correct name (the notification disappears after clicking) . Felicia was "A Taste of Jamaica" and the newest from  Andres was "Hero Factory". There were 2 reviews that were removed, that had similar discrepancies. What causes this?

The frustration is that we are a micro business - I hand make my items personally, and know most of my customers personally, because we are so small.  I certainly have complaints, but rectify them - the bad review doesn't bother me. It's the lack of recourse for falsehoods, and the potential for severe damage to our small business that is so frustrating. And frightening. 

For reference, all these started only six weeks ago, and several have been removed already. Not sure who I ticked off, but I'm trying to find a solution. I have asked for reviews from clients, and you'll see we had a few late March, after the first few negative posts popped up. 

Thanks again

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracy H

If she can provide a statement that that profile is not hers, please email it and I can add it to escalation to prove it is a fake review.

You can flag the reviews, it does take a while but they do get checked and removed if they feel violates guidelines. https://support.google.com/business/answer/4596773

Names of account does not have to be the actual customers name, so the name has no weight, it has to be the account that is in violation so to speak

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Rose Garden Florist

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you again - She happened to stop in last weekend for Mother's Day flowers, and my assistant mentioned the incident to her. She messaged me the next day that  was very upset to hear of this, and said this definitely was not her, but something similar had happened previously and cost her a friendship. I will ask her for a statement.

I have flagged, and have seen some drop off - the most recent was the one from Andres. Thanks again for your assistance - I'll be in touch.

Rose Garden Florist

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim, my customer Felicia emailed me a statement saying the account and review are not hers, so I emailed that to you today. Updated here, to show the flow of events in resolving fake reviews. I will continue to update as any resolution occurs.

For anyone reading, flagging does seem to work but takes time, days to weeks. We have seen most of the false reviews disappear in the past month, except for two. I have flagged, and my employees have with their accounts as well. Not sure which category is the most relevant, as none seem quite right for this situation, but it does seem to be working. Hoping the last two disappear soon, and will update.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Tracy H

I got your email from legitimate customer, I am going to escalate this issue now.

Will let you know when I hear back.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

*update*
May and June are extremely busy, so I'm just revisiting this now. I emailed Tim the statement from my customer, and continued to occasionally flag the fake reviews. Checking this evening, three weeks after the email exchange and the last of the remaining negative reviews has been removed.

Thank you @Tim Capper for your help and advice in resolving this!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Glad to hear it @Tracy H

Although the team have not messaged me back yet, at least its sorted.