My Business
1.1K members online now
1.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Rookie with Two Google Plus Business Pages

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just recently found out I have two Google Plus business pages. I am one of the founders, and two employees set these pages up years ago. I understand that the one I don't want is the one that is 'registered' with Google +. It should be the one that is used the most, and has over a million views. I do not know what KINDS of pages I have, or if I NEED to do anything about it, but I was alerted of the issue, and wish to combine them if I can. I see other posts here about people with two pages, but the answers assume more knowledge than I have regarding the subject. Not knowing what I have, can someone help me with this please?

<Moved to Google My Business Community by Community Manager>

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Rookie with Two Google Plus Business Pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Geri

We'll need a bit more information please before we can help. If you have the URLs for the two business pages - usually a Maps URL then that would be extremely handy. Or if you can post screenshots of where you see these two pages then that would be very useful too.

Otherwise, the full business name, phone number and address details will be necessary thanks.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Priya,

I cannot even find the thread to post a response. Where did it go? How do I find my original question and the conversations?

Geri Seiberling

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay- the response above was a reply to an email. The link sent in response sent me here. Is there a way to find the threads of the questions you have posted, instead of scrolling through miles of questions to locate yours?

Our full business Name is Etc. Graphics, Inc., and we are located at 150 N 1st Street, in Carlisle, Iowa 50047. I hesitate to post our phone number in this thread, not knowing who sees it.

Here's the links to the two pages:

Here's the link to the page I didn't know anything about: https://plus.google.com/117568216145827800577/about. Evidently THIS is the page that is 'registered' with Google? I am so new to this that I do not even know what that means.

And here is the page we are using daily: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/103060988959102667495/103060988959102667495/posts, with over 2 million views. Evidently, this page is NOT registered.

I do not know the benefit of registering my pages. Evidently you can only register ONE? If it is a benefit to have your page registered, then having two pages, with the first page listed here, (a page to this point unknown to me!), being the registered one, and our MAIN business page (the second URL listed here) NOT registered? This is most likely a disadvantage. Please inform how to fix it.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Geri S

You can see all the past threads you've posted by click on your name here in this thread at the top left of any of your posts. That'll take you to your profile, you can see everything you've posted and commented on there. 

After looking at your profile, it looks like this is the only thread you've ever posted. If there's another time you posted here, you must have done so with a different account. 

I think I have enough to answer all your questions though, so it's fine. First, there's two kinds of Google+ pages. One is a brand page. Brand pages won't ever show in the Google search results for anything, they aren't directly connected with any business, and for all intents and purposes are just a place for you to interact with your followers. A brand page is kind of like a Facebook page, that's what they're for. 

The other kind of page is a Google My Business page. It has everything a brand page has (you can have followers, you can make posts) but it also connects with a local business. When someone looks you up on Google maps, if someone does a search for your brand name and sees your knowledge panel, if someone does a search for 'Carlisle graphic designer' and sees your business in the 3-pack, all of those things will show information about your business that you can influence from inside your Google My Business profile. Photos you upload, your name, address, phone number, your business category, and so on. Verifying your profile won't directly help you get more exposure in any of the places I mentioned above, but it will give you the ability to correct and update your business information as needed, and respond to any customer reviews. 

When you verify your business by the way, that's when you tell Google that you're the business owner, and get administrative access to the page. Usually you do that by requesting a postcard, and entering the PIN number in your dashboard. 

Having a separate brand page and GMB page isn't really a problem. Having an active Google+ social following and frequent posts on your GMB page doesn't help your business get more exposure, and having your social following interacting with you on your GMB page instead of a brand page doesn't hold you back there either. If you want to merge them just to keep things neat and tidy though, instructions for doing that are here.

There's a few ways to tell the difference between a brand page and a GMB, but one of the simplest, click on the 'about' tab and look for reviews. If there's no review section, it's not a GMB page. If it's a GMB page and you see a checkmark up top by the business name, that means it's been verified. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for all this helpful information James. How do you request a 'postcard'? And how do you get a PIN number?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

There's a few ways. The easiest is to go to google.com/business, and click 'get started'. It'll have you look up your business, if it exists it'll let you request a postcard, if it doesn't it'll have you create a listing. 

You already have a verified listing though, someone must have already requested the postcard and put in the PIN number. Do you have any idea who that might have been? If you want to control you're listing, you'll need to get them to add you as a manager. If you can't figure out who claimed it (an old employee or SEO company perhaps?) then you'll need to follow these steps. The PIN number is on the postcard, it's just how Google verifies a business is real. . 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you James. I'm pretty sure that I did not verify our listing. But I transferred ownership to my business Google +Page to myself several years ago. So if I own the page, why wouldn't it show me that the verification belongs to me? When I go to the map, and add my business name, the map pointed correctly identifies my business and address. But underneath the address in the dialogue box it says "this doesn't match". This doesn't match WHAT? What is it referring to?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you please help James? Or transfer me to someone who can?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Geri,

Are you referring to the option indicated in the screenshot below?

2.png

If yes, when adding your business to Google you begin by performing a search for your business. If the information Google returns for your business is incorrect you have the option to choose, This doesn't match and add the correct business details.

Grace