AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Right side information box

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, so a law firm similar to that at which I work also has a verified local business page, but unless you type the full name of the firm, the right-hand info box does not show up. You can try it, type "Phillips Erlewine" on google, and their website comes up but not the right hand side info box, but if you type "phillips erlewine given carlin", then it does come up. While for most other firms, if you type just one of the words such as "cravath" , the box for cravath swaine & moore will show up anyways. This can't be random, I'm just not sure if it is a setting on analytics that I am not seeing or whatever but I would prefer that the box only show up when the full firm name is searched. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sejdi M
June 2016

Re: Right side information box

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

The reason phillips erlewine doesn't have a knowledge panel showing up is because they have more than one location, and no wikipedia page (stretching the details a bit, but that's close enough to the truth). That right-hand side panel for most verified local businesses has a phone number, address, hours, reviews, etc attached to it. All those things are associated with a single location, not a brand as a whole, so if someone looks for a multi-location business by their brand-name, Google won't show a knowledge panel unless the business is so big it has the kind of knowledge panel that shows for international corporations on wikipedia (think starbucks, mcdonalds, etc). If you do a search for Starbucks, the knowledge panel comes up, but there's no reviews, directions, phone number, or anything else that'd be associated with only one of their locations. That's because they have that second, hard to get kind of knowledge panel. 

Adding the city information to a brand search (like Philips Erlewine given Carlin) lets Google know which of the three locations you're interested in actually visiting and learning more about. 

Looking up Cravath, it looks like they have two locations (so no location-specific knowledge panel) but the law firm is important enough to have an entry on wikipedia. That along with the rest of their online footprint means they get that special brand knowledge panel. 

If you want the right hand panel to only show up when the whole firm name is typed in, that'll only happen if you have multiple locations under your band name, and you don't have a firm with big enough name recognition to get a brand knowledge panel. It's definitely not as simple as flipping a switch, but hopefully that answers your question about what's going on at least. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sejdi M
June 2016

Re: Right side information box

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

The reason phillips erlewine doesn't have a knowledge panel showing up is because they have more than one location, and no wikipedia page (stretching the details a bit, but that's close enough to the truth). That right-hand side panel for most verified local businesses has a phone number, address, hours, reviews, etc attached to it. All those things are associated with a single location, not a brand as a whole, so if someone looks for a multi-location business by their brand-name, Google won't show a knowledge panel unless the business is so big it has the kind of knowledge panel that shows for international corporations on wikipedia (think starbucks, mcdonalds, etc). If you do a search for Starbucks, the knowledge panel comes up, but there's no reviews, directions, phone number, or anything else that'd be associated with only one of their locations. That's because they have that second, hard to get kind of knowledge panel. 

Adding the city information to a brand search (like Philips Erlewine given Carlin) lets Google know which of the three locations you're interested in actually visiting and learning more about. 

Looking up Cravath, it looks like they have two locations (so no location-specific knowledge panel) but the law firm is important enough to have an entry on wikipedia. That along with the rest of their online footprint means they get that special brand knowledge panel. 

If you want the right hand panel to only show up when the whole firm name is typed in, that'll only happen if you have multiple locations under your band name, and you don't have a firm with big enough name recognition to get a brand knowledge panel. It's definitely not as simple as flipping a switch, but hopefully that answers your question about what's going on at least. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Full business name  : Grafdom
2. Current business address: iRise Tower, Barsha Heights,Dubai, UAE
3. Current telephone number : +9714 3453033
4. Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/+Grafdom-Local/posts

Above is the information of our organization and we are tryng to display thr knowledge box in the right side when someone enter Grafdom word in the Google . Can you please help us to display the knowledge box in the Google as we are also using the organization snippets also.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Full business name  : Grafdom
2. Current business address: iRise Tower, Barsha Heights,Dubai, UAE
3. Current telephone number : +9714 3453033
4. Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/+Grafdom-Local/posts

Above is the information of our organization and we are tryng to display thr knowledge box in the right side when someone enter Grafdom word in the Google . Can you please help us to display the knowledge box in the Google as we are also using the organization snippets also.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

James, I have a similar problem regarding the knowledge panel that just recently started.

We have 3 e-commerce brands. All of their business profiles had been showing up on the right side after searching for the following brand names separately: compandsave, comboink, tomatoink. Last week, only compandsave and tomatoink started showing up. Now, none of them show up. For compandsave, I had to search for "compandsave.com, newark" to get the profile to show up. All of these searches were done from a Texas IP address.

Those at our headquarters in CA are still able to see the business profiles when searching for the brand names. Since we are an e-commerce company, having our business listings confined to a certain location is detrimental. Why did this change and how can we fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.