My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Reviews and incentives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One of my clients wants to ask for reviews in exchange for donating to the reviewer's favorite charity. There is incentive involved, but the reviewer would not be the recipient. Would this be okay to do? Or would it still violate Google's rules on reviews and incentives?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Reviews and incentives

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Lisa C

good question and no good answer.

Have  asked our CM about this

for my own reference only:

are reviews in exchange for donating to the review

Reviews and incentives

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Lisa C

I got a word back from Google and they told me it very much depends on how the wording is made.

Do you by any chance know how they are offering this (or are prepared to "ask for reviews in exchange for donating to the reviewer's favorite charity")? Is it on their website somewhere?

Or can you share a wording for.

I would again escalate it to Google and I'm sure they will have a clear answer then.

Reviews and incentives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for looking into this. And I realize I left out an important piece of information....

The company currently gets reviews from a company called 'To Your Success'. Actually he has hundreds of them! But they aren't on google where he needs them. His plan is to send out emails to every person who posted a review on 'To Your Success' and who has a gmail account. The message would say something to the effect of: We really appreciate the review you posted on 'To Your Success' and want you to post your review on Google+ too. If you do, we will donate $10 to your favorite charity. Below is the review you posted before and it shouldn't take too much time to do. Once you've posted on Google+ send us a message with your favorite charity and we will donate to them.

That's the basic idea. We wanted to make sure this was ok to do before pulling the trigger so there is nothing now to look at currently. However, the email timing would be during the holidays and have a subject related to 'In the Spirit of Giving'.

Reviews and incentives

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

ok @Lisa C

will forward your answer to Google

Please be patient

Accepted by topic author Lisa C
October 2016

Reviews and incentives

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi @Lisa C

Firstly, thank you for coming to the community! This is a great question and we appreciate that you're trying to follow guidelines. 

After providing your response to the team and discussing a bit more, it was decided that it would be hard for us to prove that all reviews are being targeted and not just the positive ones. 

Unfortunately at this point they've decided that this would break guidelines. 

Again, thank you for bringing this question to the community!

Best,

Marissa

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Marissa Nordahl, Community Manager, Google My Business
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Follow us on GMB on Social: Facebook | Twitter

Reviews and incentives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Marissa.

Reviews and incentives

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Helping a company get reviews and their competitor, who has received over 150 Five Star Reviews in a few months by including the following notice on their invoice: "Good, Bad, or Indifferent, we want to hear from you! Use your 3 digit invoice number in your Yelp, google, or BBB review and we will send you a $25 Visa Gift card!" Is this allowed according to Google's TOS? If not what can we do about it. If so, can we use the same terminology?