AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Review Disappeared

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Experts, 

Business Name: Zeemo Pty Ltd. https://www.zeemo.com.au

Business Address: 2/66, Victor Cres, Narre Warren, Melbourne, Australia

Tel No.: 1300 881 594

Google+ URL: https://plus.google.com/+ZeemoAu-Web-Design-Agency/about

Issue:

We had a review posted by our new client on our Google Plus page. Review remained there for a day but it got deleted thereafter by Google. The review posted by the client was as genuine as it could be and was posted after few days of availing our services. 

No idea why Google has removed it and need to understand how can we get our review back.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Review Disappeared

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Webmaster

Am unable to find that specific review, but what I have found does make it very possible to lead Google to think this isn't a genuine review.
There are just over 20 profiles in G+ with the exactly the same name and 8 of them are blueheads. None of the blueheads state they're from Australia.
I searched all the blueheads and didn't find any with reviews.
If you click on the bluehead, does it take you to a profile that's still live?
It's looking like this profile was set up for the purpose of posting this review, which is enough for G to be suspicious and filter it. If it was also posted at the same location (ie IP address & device) as where the page is managed, Google will have most certainly filtered it. 

While I don't see a clear and obvious reason, rather conjecture, following is an extract (from a longer list) of reasons why G filters reviews.  Some of these reasons are explicitly stated in the guidelines, others come from shared experience:

• Web addresses (URLs) in the comments.
  • The person who wrote the review is you, a manager of your page or works for you.
    The reviewer marked the review as private.
  • The person wrote the review from the same computer/IP address that you sign into to manage your local listing.
  • The person wrote the review from the same IP address or device as another user who left a review. This is common with kiosks or review stations (a dedicated PC or tablet for collecting reviews).
  • The person tried to post a review for you several times on different dates (for example: they wrote one Jan 15 and it got filtered so they tried again on Feb 10).
  • The person reviewing you has also reviewed multiple other businesses with the same name (if you have several locations and they reviewed all of them). If the reviews aren’t specific & unique to the location, they may be filtered. This can also happen if you have two pages for the same location (duplicate page/s).
  • You hired an SEO company to post reviews for you.
  • You’re caught offering incentives. It’s okay to let patrons know you appreciate reviews, not OK to bribe for them.
  • You moved. Google does not automatically transfer reviews when a business address changes. Contact support if you need your reviews transferred to your new location.
  • The reviewer’s account has gone dormant (stopped posting reviews).
  • Staff being over-zealous in asking for reviews. The programs look for patterns in reviews. For example – If staff are asking to be named in the review and Fred Nerk is particularly committed to getting mentioned, then a run of reviews containing Fred N or Fred Nerk could get filtered.
  • Review/s super short with very few details. On Google, this does not seem to apply retrospectively, meaning reviews 2 or 3 years old with nothing but a rating continue to display. 
  • Reviews which seem as though the reviewer has not personally visited the business.

It’s a machine making the decision about whether reviews by your customers get seen or disappear into digital purgatory. It’s going to make mistakes and filter out good reviews. Yes, that stinks.

Stay the course, stick to your review strategy and you will succeed over time. Slow and steady wins the race…

hat tip +Joy Hawkins for making the base of this list and +Mike Blumenthal for helping get it updated.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Webmaster
Google has a range of criteria and filters for reviews. Unfortunately sometimes a genuine review gets caught up in the filters. Sounds like that may be what happened here.
If the review has tripped the filter, it's unlikely it will come back on the page.
If you have a screen shot of the review, we _may_ be able to shed some light on why it has been filtered.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI There,

Thanks for your reply. The screenshot of the review is as under.
How is it that it is against the review rules defined by Google and Could
you please let us know how can this be recovered.

[image: Inline image 1]

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Could you try posting the image again?

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Margaret,
I am attaching the screenshot again here:

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 4.34.54 PM.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Webmaster

Am unable to find that specific review, but what I have found does make it very possible to lead Google to think this isn't a genuine review.
There are just over 20 profiles in G+ with the exactly the same name and 8 of them are blueheads. None of the blueheads state they're from Australia.
If you click on the bluehead, does it take you to a profile that's still live?
It's looking like this profile was set up for the purpose of posting this review, which is enough for G to be suspicious and filter it. If it was also posted at the same location (ie IP address & device) as where the page is managed, Google will have most certainly filtered it. 

While I don't see a clear and obvious reason, rather conjecture, following is an extract (from a longer list) of reasons why G filters reviews.  Some of these reasons are explicitly stated in the guidelines, others come from shared experience:

• Web addresses (URLs) in the comments.
  • The person who wrote the review is you, a manager of your page or works for you.
    The reviewer marked the review as private.
  • The person wrote the review from the same computer/IP address that you sign into to manage your local listing.
  • The person wrote the review from the same IP address or device as another user who left a review. This is common with kiosks or review stations (a dedicated PC or tablet for collecting reviews).
  • The person tried to post a review for you several times on different dates (for example: they wrote one Jan 15 and it got filtered so they tried again on Feb 10).
  • The person reviewing you has also reviewed multiple other businesses with the same name (if you have several locations and they reviewed all of them). If the reviews aren’t specific & unique to the location, they may be filtered. This can also happen if you have two pages for the same location (duplicate page/s).
  • You hired an SEO company to post reviews for you.
  • You’re caught offering incentives. It’s okay to let patrons know you appreciate reviews, not OK to bribe for them.
  • You moved. Google does not automatically transfer reviews when a business address changes. Contact support if you need your reviews transferred to your new location.
  • The reviewer’s account has gone dormant (stopped posting reviews).
  • Staff being over-zealous in asking for reviews. The programs look for patterns in reviews. For example – If staff are asking to be named in the review and Fred Nerk is particularly committed to getting mentioned, then a run of reviews containing Fred N or Fred Nerk could get filtered.
  • Review/s super short with very few details. On Google, this does not seem to apply retrospectively, meaning reviews 2 or 3 years old with nothing but a rating continue to display. 
  • Reviews which seem as though the reviewer has not personally visited the business.

It’s a machine making the decision about whether reviews by your customers get seen or disappear into digital purgatory. It’s going to make mistakes and filter out good reviews. Yes, that stinks.

Stay the course, stick to your review strategy and you will succeed over time. Slow and steady wins the race…

hat tip +Joy Hawkins for making the base of this list and +Mike Blumenthal for helping get it updated.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your response.

Can you please explain what do you mean by
"There are just over 20 profiles in G+ with the exactly the same name and 8 of them are blueheads. None of the blueheads state they're from Australia.
If you click on the bluehead, does it take you to a profile that's still live?"

We have created only one profile and its a verified one.

Also, the criteria mentioned for filtering does not look to be applicable in this case as the review is as genuine as it could be.

for e.g review came from Sydney and we are in Melbourne, never done twice, not done by SEO company, not offered any incentives, no URL in the review etc. etc.

Please let us know in case you need any more information from us to understand why this review disappeared.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Webmaster
A bluehead is simply a G+ profile with no picture, so Google defaults to a blue background with a light blue silhouette.
I then searched Google+ for the profile of the person who goes by the name in the screen shot above, and searched each one that had a matching profile image - the blue head.

I didn't see a firm reason as to why it might have been filtered apart from the profile possibilities I mentioned above. At this stage your best bet is to focus on getting more reviews by more customers.

Find me on · · my blog