My Business
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Restaurant Booking links on Knowledge Panel

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a number of clients who are restaurants and use online booking providers to facilitate their online Bookings.  Bookings that originate from the restaurants own website cost nothing, while Bookings that originate from the booking providers website cost them $3 per person ($12 for a table of 4!).  The issue that the restaurants have is that there is a button on their Google Places listing for reservations that directs their customers to the providers site and in turn charges them. They can't get rid of by managing their Google Places listing and their Booking provider claims they can't take it down.  I understand why the booking provider would charge for bookings that they are bringing to a restaurant, but in order for a customer to see the google places listing they have to be looking specifically for that business, which seem unfair for the Booking provider to try and reel these customers in and charge the restaurant when they customers were going to book at the venue already.  Can anyone provide some clarity on how this is happening and any potential recourse that the restaurants have if the provider refuses to remove the link?

Note: This thread has been moved to the Google My Business Community by a Community Manager.

Re: Restaurant Booking links on Knowledge Panel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, or if I've posted to the wrong category/section please let me know and I will seek answers elsewhere!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Paddy,

It seems like you are right and situation is unfair. But your asking about it in Google AdWords forum, so it hardly to get proper answer. Try to ask about it at nearby forum "Google My Business".
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Paddy M
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Paddy,

More info about why you receive this link for searchers to make 3rd party site reservations can be found here. Unfortunately, if you are part of the 3rd party site's program, who is part of Google's Actionable Links program, you'll get this reservation link on your listing.

Adding in info from a similar thread - @james w adds:

Another option, you can specify where you want people to make a reservation on your website using JSON-LD. Google will read this, and will likely update your knowledge panel reservation link if you set up the Schema properly, but it may take a while before Google picks it up and makes the change. 

@Tim Capper had a great template you could use that he shared here. Basically, just copy that code, add in your information, and then put it on each page of your website (if you're running wordpress, it's easy to add it to the header or footer file). It doesn't matter where it is on page. Make sure you run the code through a schema testing tool first to make sure it's working right. 

Best regards,

Meghan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @Meghan T, great info !

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @Paddy,
did you really find a way to remove those links to third party providers? I've done my research, called Google numerous times and so far did not find a way to do this.

Thanks