My Business
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Replies to negative reviews not posted

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I recently received another negative review for my business and I spent a week trying to get my reply to this review posted with no luck until last night. So basically any prospective cents would read that nasty and untrue review and not call me because they couldn't see my reply and what this client actually did TO ME and the circumstances behind it. I then noticed that several other bad reviews did not have my reply posted either. For how long I have no idea ! So people are free to write whatever they want about me but I can't reply? ! In fact, 2 of the 4 bad reviews I have are from people who haven't even used my services. How unfair . 

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noelles Pet L
August

Top Contributor
# 37
Top Contributor

Hey Guys,

So I was actually able to replicate this on my phone as well and it appears to be a bug.  I'll file a bug request with Google and ask them to fix it.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Noelles Pet L I agree that reviews are a real problem and or can be good for a company. There is a process to flag or report spam reviews as you alluded on some of them. The question I have is trying to post a response to the reviews were you logged into https://business.google.com/manage/#/list to do it that way?  I just did a response to a review on a page I manage and it showed up instantly after hitting submit.

The only other way to defend against this is to ask customers that are happy to do a review of you on google and follow the best practices for reviews. They are a fact of life in the online world. 

If you have more questions or need help with fake reviews please post more details

Please include the following with your question: 
1. Full business name 
2. Current business address 
3. Current telephone number 
4. Google Maps URL 
5. Website (if applicable) 

David W Cox, Google My Business Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

HI David, 

I really appreciate the help and reply. Don't get me wrong I love google. ..try took down one review a whole back that libelous and pretty awful. ..I flagged it and made such a stick k about it and it was gone in 1 hours...competition I think. That review made me realize that there are some really horribke people trolling the web...I was shocked when it happened. So yes I am aware of the flagging thing...I teed it on at least one other spam review (someone I don't know who just rated with no explanation ) and have yet to see it come down so I assumed that Google has some kind of system where they determine which ones come down and which don't.  Is this the case ? Anyway , I went to the uRL that you left me there and i could not see anywhere I could view reviews or anything . It said ' my business' at top then below that ' account summary' then ' here's a breakdown of your listings' and I scrolled and tapped on the 3 lines at top left and I just don't see anu thing.  I also went to Google my business website, modified my replies to the negative reviews and submitted. ..still not showing my replies. I dwnloaded the my business app and tried editing and submitting there...still nothing.  I don't understand.  My replies were posted ages ago when I submitted them and now they're gone but only the ones for the negative reviews...all my replies are still there for all positive reviews!! Why is this happening? In fact I received another positive review today and replied to it and it immediately showed up but the other ones still haven't !! Anyway , you mentioned I should give more details if I need more help. Basically if someone can help me with the negative reviews still remaining without my reply showing.  I have managed to only get one reply to show and that is for the 'Rae Paziuk' review. All others I have replied to (over a year ago for a couple I think..) but not posted. Plz help ! Here is my info: 

Full business name : Noelle's Pet Love 

Current business address: 2167 west 13th ave . Vancouver bc V6k2s2

Phone #: 6044425022

Google maps url: Noelle's Pet Love  

Thankyou for your help !!

Noelle 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I know this may not be what you want to hear but having all 5-star reviews is said by some people to be not good or suspicious. It is clear that you care about the service you provide. The two negative reviews do look on the surface to be legit or I should say not spam by a competitor or something. The last one is questionable. So that you may pursue that one or your note should take care of it. 

Have you logged in at this link that is for controlling and editing your "Google My Business page" https://business.google.com/manage/#/list  then sign in with the Google account you created the page with and on the left after you log in to your listing there should be a tab that says reviews and you can do it there on Desktop or mobile I think.

I would suggest that you respond as you have but in the future be shorter in the responses to the negatives one and then move on. Prospects understand that things happen. You do not want to look contentious when things go bad even though it burns you up.  Build up more reviews from happy customers and the others will have less of an effect. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you David that all makes sense. I guess I didn't know that replies should be shorter to get posted. Maybe that is the problem...I know my replies were long but I thought other prospects would want to read a thorough explanation but I'm sure you know better than I about such things ! So I logged in like you said and changed them / made them shorter so I will wait and see fingers crossed lol! The last review I have flagged again but is still there. Anyway I have done what you recommended and asked a few clients to post reviews and they said they would ( I don't really like doing this , it makes me uncomfortable but I see that I must ). Thanks again for your help ! 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How long should I wait before contacting you again? I have shortened the replies considerably and they are still not posted. The replies to positive reviews from as recently as an hour ago are already posted.  It doesn't seem fair that I should have to shorten my replies even more still...is that the problem? My replies are shorter (by quite a bit in 2 cases),than the reviews themselves ...am I not allowed to write as much as the reviewer ? I don't understand sorry...

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

No sorry, I did not mean to tell you what to do. I just looked quickly and wanted to share my opinion. When I have gotten bad reviews I have to wait and figure out what does the public want to see from me as I reply. I try not to get into too many details because it opens up other issues. I eat a little crow be respectful of the person and then let all the other positive ones speak for them selves. Only my opinion. 

There is no hard and fast rule in my mind other than accumulating more positive reviews and it will work out. People get to see your personality in the reviews. 

I do not have any idea on the republishing of your edits. I have not tried that yet, sorry. Based on what you show in your profile if I was in that area and had a pet I would use your service. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That's ok David I really appreciate all your help !! What a wonderful thing you do to help people this way ! :) I will try to figure this out somehow with the replies. Do you have a suggestion as to whom I might contact for help on this ?

Thanks again David you rock !! 

Still no help with finding out why my replies to negative reviews not posted/ positive ones are

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

HI I recently started a thread about my problem but still hasn't been resolved and it is very frustrating.  I have a small business and have 32 or so reviews. 4 of them are negative and while I have replied to the potiive ones and my replies were posted immediately,  my replies to the negative ones STILL haven't been posted. One of the is 2 years old and another a year !! From a prospect's point of view it would look like I don't care or am too lazy to reply to them when in fact I have tried MANY TIMES to reply with no luck. I have even changed the wording,reduced the size considerably and deleted and started again with no luck. My replies are definitely shorter than the reviews themselves. Someone plz help me this is very frustrating !! 2 of the reviews are from people who haven't even used my services and the other 2 are from clients who haven't paid me. Help !! 

Business name :Noelle's Pet Love 

Address : 2167 west 13th ave vancouver bc Canada 

Maps: Noelle's Pet Love 

Websitr: www.noellespetlove.com 

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

@Noelles Pet L The short answer is here by google but what they say is always soooo short it is hard to get the flavor of things in my mind. So here is some more detail. One of the experts in this google maps that has a blog is Mike Blumenthal. He is active in this community and be doing this stuff for YEARS. This is what he says about the ins and outs of reviews. Keep an eye on his blog. Here is a guy that shows longer reviews and contradicts what I said so you get a different view of amazing reviews. So watch this community and another place for how to on reviews is the second source on Mike. This post also gets you to a link for mikes company 5 star reviews and how negative reviews are not all bad.

The key not to do like a hotel used to do here is the states. If you booked a wedding there it was in the contract that you could not do a negative review or they would fine you. I actually wanted to go there to check the place out and find out what type of owner he was. A while ago I was able to find reference to it and then looked up the location and they are no longer in business. Here is an article about the story of how not to handle reviews.  Here is a link to the Google My Business page. The owner was not able to react well and thought that he or she could control the public. Sadly the public is highly variable so make the best of both the good and the bad. If we could only get customers trained as well as some animals.