My Business
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Removing inappropriate customer uploaded photos

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It seems there should be a way to manage customer uploaded photos.  I can delete I upload, but not photos customers (or anyone) uploads.  Sometimes customers upload images in good wel-meaning, but that are redundant -- we'd like to be able to delete them.  Some are just poor quailty -- out of focus, too dark, etc, and some are in appropriate and have no relationship to our business.  For example, someone posted a voting card; there's no reason for it to be there or for it to take up space for other relevant images.  It pushes good pictures to the bottom. 

I saw another post with this same question (the picture of the rat).  There wasn't a good explanation of how it got deleted other than "it resolved itself."  Is there a way to get more control over the content in the photo section?  No trash bin appears in any of the customer uploaded images.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brooklyn Center Perfm Arts P
June

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

No.  The thing is if Google introduced that option, there would be countless businesses abusing this feature in which even the slightest unliked photo would be removed.  I guess Google wants to make it as free to contribute as possible.  As you are most likely aware, the only real option there is, is to flag the photo(s).

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Brooklyn Center Perfm Arts P

As @Nate S said, the only course of action is to flag photos for removal. Here's a link with instructions on how to do that: https://support.google.com/business/answer/6130451?hl=en

Best, 

Allie

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you guys.  I understand that Google wants to keep it as free as possible, but sometimes people just post stuff that is irrelevant (like a voting stub for Clinton and Trump -- no idea why).  I guess if u flag it, I guess we leave it up to Google to decide if it warrants being deleted.  

Thanks again. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

which is worst, a random person being able to upload any photo to your businesspage, or a business owner being able to delete any picture?

Re: Removing inappropriate customer uploaded photos

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
which is worst, a random person being able to upload any photo to your businesspage, or a business owner being able to delete any picture?
That all depends on what the picture section is meant to do. In my mind, there is only one reason why a business presents ANYTHING to the public -- it's to promote the business's image and presence and/or generate good will. That becomes problematic when the public gets to display what it wants in the name of the business and the business has little or no control. And even though the picture section is broken into public and business pictures, ALL pictures in that section are inexorably seen as part of the business's image and mystique by the viewer; I am quite sure that in the viewer's mind, any distinction between the public pictures and pictures posted by the business is lost. A business spends lots of time and money to craft and maintain its unique image; allowing the business not to have direct control of its image seems counter-intuitive the whole purpose of having a distinct section of Google devoted to business. There really is no other purpose for images to be on the business page other than to enhance the business image.

Practically speaking, we don't get a lot of people posting inappropriate images, but what we do get is lots of badly composed images (ugly actually), lots and LOTS of redundant images (we only need one or two pictures of the stage, and not the many that we get from the farthest seat in the 2500 seat theatre which shows nothing interesting or even discernible). We get lots of out-of-focus images and lots of images of people in silly poses that don't show ANYTHING useful or related to the business. In my opinion, if a picture (or anything posted on a business site) is not informative or doesn't at least tangentially promote the business, it's a waste of valuable promotional space. Why would a business even list itself on Business Google if not for its self-promotional value?

I guess the best thing to do would be for a business to post as many attractive, positive images so that the public pictures are pushed so far down that they show up long after the pictures that the business wants to display. When really inappropriate images show up, I guess they can be removed by going thru the rigmarole of contacting Google to delete them, although I don't know what the turnaround for time for that is. I certainly hope it is speedy -- no business should have to suffer what that restaurant did when someone posted a picture of a dead rat on a plate of food. But even if you can get disgusting images down quickly, it will require constant monitoring -- time most small businesses can use for more productive things. At least the comment section allows the business to respond to negative comments in real-time. I think Google needs to decide if they want Google Business to be a business promotional site or a Yelp-type consumer review site. If its a Yelp-type site, then I agree, business shouldn't control what the public says or what pictures they post. Google has that capability in the regular social media section. Business Google, according to their statements, solely exists to promote business. Not allowing a business to control what is shown in may respects defeats that goal and could, in some cases be quite counter-productive.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar problem with my restaurant. I keep receiving bad reviews and pictures destined to two restaurants near by, witch are not registered on google. I keep flagging the pictures and responding to the comments, but they are still there, and my rating is going down.... :(

It is a time consuming process, there are days when I receive 2 or 3 reviews or pictures!

Its not fair!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have a legal case here guys. anyone want to start a class action lawsuit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is what I was thinking... a class action lawsuit. I own a business about farm feed and got SPAMMED with over 140+ pics of a bus station, nearly 1000 miles away from my location. I can't erase them. I have to "ask permission" to Google to see if they will erase them. And to make it worse.. one of them pics was added by Google as my COVER PHOTO!!!

I'm not pleased with this "freak control" from Google.

Re: Removing inappropriate customer uploaded photos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just curious, has anyone tried blocking the profile to see if the pic they posted goes away?