My Business
1.1K members online now
1.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Remove my business marker in Google Maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I am a photographer who works from home.

I have a My Business listing as I want people to find my business on Google, but when I search for my business (Fraser McCulloch Photography) on Google Search (using a third party Google account), then click on the Google Map, and then click Nearby, I see a placemarker of my home address.

I don't want this to be seen on Google Maps...how can I remove it.

Thanks,

Fraser

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Remove my business marker in Google Maps

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Goofy S

You can set your listing as a service-area business by following the steps here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @TomW

I have unticked:

"I also serve customers at my business address. (Your address will be hidden from the public if this box isn't ticked.)" 

...but as per my original message, if someone searches for me on Google, clicks the Map and then clicks Nearby, I get a grey placemarker on my home address.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Sorry @Goofy S, I read your first post too fast. I do know what you mean. One way that will work is to not define the service area by radius. If you instead list it by cities, for example, you'll end up with a service area that isn't displayed as a circle. Google would then place that marker roughly in the middle of the now oddly shaped service area when you click on 'nearby'.

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @TomW

That makes sense.  Do you know if it takes a while to refresh, as I've made those changes, but still get the same issue.

Really appreciate your help :-)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You're welcome. Yes, it might take a while for it to update. Let me know if it doesn't change in a day or so. I don't think it will take that long though.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will do @TomW

Thanks again.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Goofy S, still hasn't updated? I tested on a listing I have access to and it did work as expected. I know that updates can sometimes take a few days so I would wait a little longer before editing it again.

Just curious, how long ago did your create and verify your listing?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Goofy S

Hey Fraser, what in the world is going on with your listing? It looks like my suggestion backfired for you. Sorry for the troubles. Can you tell me what edits you have tried? I would like to try to help get your issue resolved.

Thanks,

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @TomW

Apologies that I missed your response.

My original listing was created over a year ago (maybe 2).  I have re-verified the listing today (got a new code from Google My Business). 

It looks from my end that the problem is now solved, as I now get that 'oddly shaped service area' you mentioned previously.

Thanks again for your help with this...it's much appreciated.

Fraser