My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Remove Review and Rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a law firm. We won a case against someone who then left a 1 star review and a lengthy negative review in which they clearly stated they never hired us. We flagged it for conflict of interest. Google removed the review, but left the 1 star. We've worked hard to earn 5 stars from all of our reviews and I cannot fathom why Google would leave the 1 star when they've already removed the review it was associated with because it was clearly not by a client of ours. Do I have any recourse other than suing the opposing party?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Remove Review and Rating

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

They removed the review but left the one star? I don't think it works that way.* Perhaps the one star was left under a different account? 

Do you happen to have screenshots that demonstrate that the text was removed but the star is still present? Can you definitively show that the account that left the star is the same account (not just by name only, since those aren't unique) that had the text review too? 

This is actually an interesting case, though. I'm surprised that Google removed the review at all (if that's what happened). Did you happen to threaten legal action against the reviewer?**

From Google's standpoint, even if this person wasn't a customer, they did indeed have an experience with you as a business person. That experience is a perfectly valid one to share with the world. It doesn't matter if they paid you or not or if you wanted to serve them or not. It just matters that they had an experience with your business, which you attest that they, in fact, did.

From a business standpoint, instead of trying to get the review removed, I would have turned it into a positive experience. I mean, if they're complaining you beat them in court, then that's actually good for you. That could be highlighted in a review response. Why give up an opportunity to demonstrate you're effective at your job. It might be more effective to develop the story around your business rather than chasing stars.

* While things may have changed, when I was last acquainted with the tools at Google, there was no mechanism to suppress the review text, but leave the rating on a listing. It was all or nothing when removing these types of annotations. 

** Review text can be edited or removed by the reviewer, if they feel so compelled. 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Remove Review and Rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with trying to use it to my advantage. We left a response to that effect, but still didn't like the one star so I flagged it. Google removed the review, but not the one star. Yes, the one star is from the same account. I would be fine with the one star staying if they kept the text, but it doubly hurts that they removed the part that was beneficial to us and showed that this was an opposing party.

If this was the reviewer who left 1 star, left a review, didn't like my comment on it so they deleted their review, then I should have the same ability. I disagree with you about ratings. To leave a negative rating about someone who did a 5 star job, but you disagree with the outcome, is not how people view ratings on Google. Google's opinion on what ratings mean don't matter at this point. It's how the general public views them that matters. The reviewer didn't have an experience with me as a business (the way I treat my clients) but as an opposing party in a highly contentious legal case (which is obviously a completely different experience). I treated them professionally, but they lost and didn't like it. If there is no way to fix this through Google, I'll just send a demand letter to the party. I was trying to avoid having to do that.

Remove Review and Rating

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I think the user removed their review. If Google were to removed the review, the star rating would be removed too.

Remove Review and Rating

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yes - there's no way to fix it through Google. 

Is your reply still live on the rating, then? Do you have a link? 

Joel Headley, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Twitter

Remove Review and Rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Joel H .. I hope you can help me!  We are new to Google and only have (9) reviews so far.  All (9) are 5 star reviews.  Yesterday we noticed our review rating dropped from a 5.0 down to a 4.6.  Then we realized a previous employee (not a client) had left a 1 Star review with no comment.  His beef is actually with another employee who was no longer willing to give him a ride to work.  He was not even upset with the company.  So we contacted him and asked him to take it down, which he happily did.  We are now back to our original (9) 5 star reviews .. but the 1 star review that he removed is still being factored into our rating.  How do we get our rating to read the correct 5.0 again?  Can I fix this on my end?  Or does Google have to do something to make this right?  Thank you! 

Remove Review and Rating

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, i thing that customer remove only review but rating not removed. if Google were removed review then rating also removed too. 

Remove Review and Rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you certain about that?  I could have easily asked Google, but I thought it would be easier just to ask the employee who made the mistake.  Certainly there must be a way to fix this.  I still have my original email showing the review.  Can I submit that to Google and explain the situation?  

Remove Review and Rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How I can remove review section. 

Remove Review and Rating

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That is by the laziest answer to the issue a company could make, you are saying google promotes and endorses the narcissistic compulsions of its users and has no concern as to the validity of the complaint, drive behind it or even the truth of it. But hey keep telling yourself that everyone is allowed to say what they like no matter if its true or not . Very responsible.