3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Regions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

My store is in town on the outskirts (7km away) of a major city.  I originally set the town as location, but want to be found in the major city region.  Is best option to put "within 20 km"?  If I put in the major city, I would have to put city center post code in, which doesn't work for me either.

Many thanks for any advice!

Sandrine

Vintage Lives

9 Townhall Avenue, Preston, VIC 3072

0401 378 729

https://www.vintagelives.com.au/

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Vintage+Lives/@-37.7403198,145.0090209,11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:...

Regions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @Vintage L

For a service area business like yours, it really doesn't matter the geo area you add to your GMB location area.  Whether its 7km or 20km really won't make any difference.  

I think that you are close enough to the centre of Melbourne so you could rank for the keywords your best suited for.  

But, that's a little beyond the scope of this forum.

Regions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Keenan,

Thanks for your response.  Do you know if my company will come up if someone types the relevant service and their own area (so long as it is within the catchment area?  I just tried to do this and I didn't get listed, maybe because I only updated this information this morning?

Cheers

Sandrine  

Regions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Vintage L - whether or not your business shows up in Google Maps for specific search terms is a combination of many factors, including the location where you're business is listed.  Though much of it has to do with the relevance of your website.

This article explains a bit about how to improve your local ranking.  You can help improve the businesses prominence by making sure the correct details are listed with important online business directories like YellowPages, etc.  

The rest has to do with optimizing a site for Google Search (commonly referred to as SEO or search engine optimization), a vast topic and not one we really cover this forum.