My Business
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Re: Two Businesses at Same Address

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help Priya, much appreciated :)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Lachlan

I've moved your post to a new thread this allows us to keep the forum organised and gives you the attention you need without confusing people who've posted before.

Ok, looking at the details you've provided I agree that this set up is likely to be 'hit' by Google - either the two listings will be merged, or one listing will be marked as spam / duplicate and be suspended. I know that to the business owner a fixed storage unit business model is very different to a portable self storage unit option but to Google they are (as you pointed out) simply different services that the business owns.

If your client does have different phone numbers, different opening hours and different websites (you see where I'm going with this?) then you may be able to get away with it even if they've got similar addresses. But you should warn them that it is possible one (or both) of the listings could be penalised down the track.

I find that the easiest way to explain it is - imagine you're a plumber and you have two services: Boutique bathroom renovations and emergency call outs. To the plumber they're very different but to Google they're just different services :)

Good luck.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help Priya, much appreciated :)

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The issue I see in the above situation Lachlan is, which website are you going to use for the GMB listing? You can only have one website listed there, so the other 5 websites would be relying on organic search optimisation rather than local SEO to be found.

Having the same contact details for 6 'different' brand names in 6 different websites could also cause an issue with NAP consistency since Google would struggle with which one is the 'correct' brand name and therefore the most appropriate to be returned when searching for XYZ services alone.

If the brands are that different that they require different websites (I'm assuming because of branding purposes), can they not have at least different phone numbers? That would certainly help differentiate between the businesses (rather than services) and would assist with NAP consistency.

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog