My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Ranking of Clients in My Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a lot of clients (Doctors only).  We manage their websites and marketing.  Trying to figure out what we are doing wrong when it comes to claiming the businesses.   Some clients rank well and others sometimes dont appear at all.
Are we missing something or doing some thing wrong? PLease assist.

We verify the account with google.
Optimize the website and google maps listing
Add appropriate categories
Add images

Some clients are getting reviews from patients.

What are the ranking factors for my business?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Ranking of Clients in My Business

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pj,

There are hundreds of ranking factors since the local ranking algo includes all the organic ranking factors too. Where you rank organically has a big impact on local rankings..  

Here is how I explain it in super simple terms: Google Local ranking is like a giant puzzle and all the right pieces need to be in GMB, 3rd party citations and your site.

He who has the most correct pieces in all the right places ranks highest!  If you have broken or missing puzzle pieces, like the name or address entered slightly incorrectly on GMB or other sites, it can hurt you.

Everything needs to match up, be optimized well and be violation-free in order to rank high in local.  (There are lots of guidelines and unwritten rules to be aware of.)

I end up doing lots of ranking troubleshooting for consultants and there are all kinds of things that can cause problems. Duplicates, practitioner listings (usually hurt the main practice listing) rebranding, moves, incorrect 3rd party citations, local ranking penalties and a bunch of others things. Even little things many don't think to check, like the map marker being slightly off.  Sometimes it's just that the competition is more well optimized, so you need to do competitive analysis to see what they are doing right and try to do it better.

It's pretty complicated, but the Local Search Ranking Factors at Moz will show you what some of the most important factors are, so you can focus more on some of those things.

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pj,

There are hundreds of ranking factors since the local ranking algo includes all the organic ranking factors too. Where you rank organically has a big impact on local rankings..  

Here is how I explain it in super simple terms: Google Local ranking is like a giant puzzle and all the right pieces need to be in GMB, 3rd party citations and your site.

He who has the most correct pieces in all the right places ranks highest!  If you have broken or missing puzzle pieces, like the name or address entered slightly incorrectly on GMB or other sites, it can hurt you.

Everything needs to match up, be optimized well and be violation-free in order to rank high in local.  (There are lots of guidelines and unwritten rules to be aware of.)

I end up doing lots of ranking troubleshooting for consultants and there are all kinds of things that can cause problems. Duplicates, practitioner listings (usually hurt the main practice listing) rebranding, moves, incorrect 3rd party citations, local ranking penalties and a bunch of others things. Even little things many don't think to check, like the map marker being slightly off.  Sometimes it's just that the competition is more well optimized, so you need to do competitive analysis to see what they are doing right and try to do it better.

It's pretty complicated, but the Local Search Ranking Factors at Moz will show you what some of the most important factors are, so you can focus more on some of those things.

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for that Linda,

That article is very helpful. Gives me a nice understanding of what to focus on.