AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Problem with 'Addtional Business Categories'

C H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
C H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I have a Pet Sitting/Dog Walking business. The main category being Pet Sitting, I have selected Dog Walking & Dog Walker as additional categories. If I go to Google & search for Pet Sitters in my area my business is listed on Google Maps - Wonderful, however, if I search for Dog Walker in my area, my business is not listed at all. Any ideas why its not picking up those extra categories?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

it might be a matter of rankng and relevance.

I just checked with one of my own listings having specified several categories and I get them listed not only if searching for the main category 

Re: Problem with 'Addtional Business Categories'

C H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
C H
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, I have been messing around & seems it will list the business if I search for Dog Walkers & the post/zip code or Dog Walkers & the County/State but not if I search Dog Walkers & the town! Think I will just have to be happy its there somewhere!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a question about categories and Googles reluctance to change. However, in the beginning they came up with someone's ideas of basic categories which is my case are incorrect. In the category of Massage they have in fact at least 5 listings (Massage Therapy, Asian Massage, Sports Massage, Thai Massage, and unbelievably Erotic Massage  which is illegal is every state.  There is a large population of Therapists in the world that practice Muscle/Skeletal Manual Therapy(medicine). Surely, If someone at google can come up with the above categories, there should be room for a science based category that can correctly advertise practices in the business of helping the human body get well.   Thank you for any help that you can provide, Ken