My Business
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Places 3 Pack - One minutes it's there then it's gone

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help.
I have noticed this year that when doing a Google search using a particular search term one moment the '3 pack' of places listings will show up and then a few minutes later the places listings no longer exists. Can you please advise why this is the case? Or a blog regarding this change? I'm interested in learning more about the places listings in a Google search.
Thank you in advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Places 3 Pack - One minutes it's there then it's gone

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Fiona
There could be a few things influencing the local pack, with no further details it's going to be tricky to answer.
Generally, local packs show for search terms Google considers has local intent. Local intent is in part the search term/s you use - I'm guessing you're using the exact same search term every time?
Local intent determination might be beyond just the search term, it could tie in individual user activity, whether they're logged in, sites they've just visited and so on.
Can you give an example?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Margaret,
Thanks for your reply.
This is the first time I've even noticed this happen and it got me thinking. At the time I was using search term "Mini Skip Bins Brisbane". The first time I searched it I could see the Google local listings 3 pack show up, then a few minutes later I used the exact same search (copied and pasted) and there was no longer any Google local listings.
I was using an incognito browser with my location set to Australia.
Thanks again.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Fiona H

I don't get any three pack at all for Mini Skip Bins Brisbane (not even if searching with www.google.com.au)

But searching for  Mini Skip Bins Brisbane near Brisbane  or "Mini Skip Bins Brisbane" I get a 3-pack and it remains visible for all the time I like to spent locking at it

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Well that is interesting... 
When I search for mini skip bins brisbane, I get the local pack mostly yes but sometimes no.
When I search for mini skip bins near brisbane I get the local pack every time.
Took me a while to repeat what you're experiencing, but was able to do so.

And the variations may have been based in part on my prior activity, but it could also be Google testing something.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks heaps Helmut and Margaret,
I knew I couldn't be going crazy and this actually was happening.
This has happened on several search terms now and I wanted to be sure it wasn't just me and even experts had the same result.
Thanks again, both of you!
Fiona
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fiona H
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
This is the case because Google is constantly testing their results and assessing user inputs to see which results make users happier.

Also there might be some thinking that given that your first search didn't result in action that the second search should produce different results.

Particularly with the rollout of RankBrain these sorts of changes might occur without any human intervention and might be reflected as the machine learns more over time. Here is a video discussing how this might happen with their new AI algo: http://localu.org/blog/video-deep-dive-googles-new-rankbrain-algo-local-search/