My Business
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Place an order link on Google Maps - Mobile - Unacceptable from Business Perspective

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I would suggest everybody with a business background to read my case and take appropriate action.

A few months ago Google added an option a link, for all business that offered online delivery, for the local provider of this service. Here is the case:

Issue: The owner doesn't want a competitor link on his listing

Business name: Macari 101

Google Maps link: https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Macari+101/@53.2282065,-6.6521347,15z/

Place an order link: just-eat.ie

Business website: http://macari101.ie

Phone number: 0834785099 (my as I am delegated to represent his business)

1.PNG

Actions so far:

Contacted Google Maps Customer Service and after few explanations what is my issue they asked me for a screenshot:

2.JPG

After the investigation, Shivani called me and told me: "Unfortunately we can't remove this link, you have to contact just eat " .. and she gave me a phone number (08060000600 - try to dial it :) ).

1. How come Google Product feature is not managed from google. How come I have to contact 3rd party?

2. How come to Google freely set a link to a direct competitor and when there is already a link related to this listing (it is not acceptable from business point of view)

3. The phone number given from Google Support guess - is not operating anymore, the email addresses provided by just eat are not operating, customer service doesn't know what to do:

3.JPG

So in conclusion - I am Rising Star in Google Maps Forum and I am helping people who experience difficulties and I was thrilled from this issue as I am helping this listing. 

1. When you set a feature that could cause an inconvenience for any business, please inform them.

2. If you can't give an option to manage those type of features - don't set them as default - give the opportunity for the business to set them ( let's say be default to be not set)

3. Instruct your 3rd parties how to manage those type of issues - as you can see they don't have a clue.

4. If the business has an operating website - why not setting their website for this link - they would appreciate it. It is ridiculous to set a link of a direct competitor of any business listing.

5. I would suggest not used anymore the focus group that you used for this feature  :)  next time hire people with some business background because it is so funny to set a competitor links and don't give an option to people to fix it.

For any questions, don't hesitate to ask for more info.

Kind regards,

Krassi

1 Expert replyverified_user

Place an order link on Google Maps - Mobile - Unacceptable from Business Perspective

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

any help on this?

Kind regards,

Krassi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Again,

pushing up this post, I believe that somebody will take care of it. Called Google more than 10 times...but nothing yet,

Kind regards,

Krassi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Again,

why nobody can't help me on that...it is unbelievable ...even raising tickets and phone call, nobody won't take the responsibility and get this done,

Kind regards,

Krassi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

no luck, really believed that somebody would give a hand on this :(

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey @Krassi

That doesn't sound right. Normally to get rid of these, I tell people to Log into the GMB dash, click "edit" and then at the bottom of that part of the dashboard, there is a link called "Report a problem with this business"... click that then follow through the instructions and select Menu URL as the issue and suggest the change in the comments.

But it sounds like you've already done that since you're talking to GMB support.  Our community manager on the forum is out this week so I would suggest you get in touch with the GMB team on social and ask them for a second opinion.  You can tweet to them at @googlemybiz or message them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/GoogleMyBusiness/ 

Let me know if they are able to resolve it for you.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Krassi, question when I visit your website while there is a link to order online I don't see how you actually would. Can people actually order online from your website?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @matt

there are two links:

1. Provided by Google to place an order - it is automatically set

2. Added website url from the business owner

The issue is that in both links you can place an order from this store, but in the first case the owner doesn't want people who visit his property on google maps to be redirected to 3rd party company.

Kind regards,

Krassi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @joy,

thank you for your reply, I would wait until the community manager is back (as I already waited more than a 7 weeks)

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Krassi

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Krassi can you please clarify if the business is a paying customer of Just Eat?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual