My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Pictures on Google Maps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We post pictures of our completed projects to our Google My Business profile.  Is there a way to set one of these pictures as the default that is used for our google maps profile that is seen when someone does a web search and our company appears?  Our company name is G-Force Signs & Graphics and our address is 52B Connecticut Ave, South Windsor, CT 06067.  Website is www.gforcesigns.com and the url for google maps is:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/G-Force+Signs+%26+Graphics/@41.824117,-72.6028687,17z/data=!3m1!4b...

Below is a picture of the results, we would like to change the picture of the doors with the ADA signs to another photo that has been saved under our Google my Business account.

Thank you.

Google map screenshot.pngCompany profile on Google

1 Expert replyverified_user

Pictures on Google Maps

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

My understanding of it at this time is the pictures are posted by you, visitors, and Google guides. They have an algorithm that is trained to fit the look Google has set. I personally have not seen a place to control placement of the pictures. There is a post on the local Google guides forum. It is how the main picture is selected. This contributor is trying to take and contribute pictures that will get a lot of views but it also shows how the main picture is selected if there are a lot of pictures to chose from.

Here are some of his concepts of how the top picture is selected. It makes sense to me. Google street view takes lower quality pictures and if they can show high-quality pictures that show the relative position of the business and how a visitor would see it approaching it sort of like real estate curb appeal. Then details of the business follow. 

Here are some exerps from his post.

"

What I also discovered was that the better quality picture the faster they got picked to be the one top ranking picture for the location and thereby got a lot of views.

These are elements I experienced had to be in a picture to be chosen as the main image for a location:

• High technical quality (resolution, focus, balanced light/colors)
  • Framing a storefront to include ground, sky, trees and other appealing elements.
  • They almost all had the company logo and business name in them.
  • Rarely was interior shots chosen as the leading image, but shots of appealing food, menus and hours of operation pictures occasionally got good traction."

It makes fits with what was chosen for your profile. It looks like the entrance to the building. I would go out to the parking lot and take a shot of the view of the entrance to your part of the building. The second way to put on pictures you want is the new post feature. You can add information on your listing by using a new feature called posts. it is titled "Make your business stand out on Google with Posts". The pictures will be middle of the listing and you can add a number of posts and text explaining the post. It is not clear yet to me if you can post we are installing this great sign tomorrow if you are in the area of xyz company stop by and take a look. I do know you can but a link back to your site where you can talk about things relevant to your product, company and or location.  

David W Cox, Google My Business Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Find me on: Google+ | Facebook |