My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Phone call clicks Insights anomalies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi I've recently (05/04/16) activated a Google My Business listing. 

The insights page populated and I've been monitoring it over the last few weeks. 

I've noticed that some information doesn't seem to stack up with each other in particular phone calls. 

I've included images below but in essence on the 18th of April I looked at the clicks and saw 3 phone call clicks however the bottom graph showing days of calls indicated 7 calls... Naturally my first thought was that I'll see these missing 4 calls appear on the clicks graph in the coming 2 days as it's behind by 48 hours. I thought maybe the days graph updates quicker.

As you can see on the images below I've waited 4 days the calls on the clicks graph hasn't changed and the days graph hasn't either.

Even more bizarre the time of day graph for the same time frame shows 9 calls.

The Google help page on Insights seems to read that the source of the information is the same in all the graphs??? "Number of clicks on your business’s phone number from a local search result in Google Maps, Search or Maps for mobile"

If someone could please clarify the reasons or possible reasons for the differences that would be much appreciated. 

22.04 clicks.png3 phone call clicks22.04.16 calls days.png7 phone calls indicated22.04.16 calls time.png9 phone calls indicated

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Phone call clicks Insights anomalies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Oliver C GMB Insights are to be taken with a grain of salt. They aren't 100% accurate. Consider them a guiding light instead of an exact compass. 

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.
I thought it might be something like that. : ) Would be interesting to know what the margin for error is hopefully only a low number like by 10 calls, which is glaringly obvious on the charts I've posted but hopefully will be less so in the future.
I help businesses with their listings, how would you put this discrepancy over to a client?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
A guiding light from a blind guide.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oliver C
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Oliver C I would be straight forward with them. And feel free to use my killer analogy ;) 

Another thing I would suggest doing is manually tracking the insights over time. Currently, the GMB only goes back three months. If you can look at a data set that goes back farther in time, you will have a better feel for the insights.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks I might use that one.
I've got a set of spreadsheets setup to take data over time but have only been heavily involved with Google my Business for the last month changed disciplines to local SEO away from AdWords.
Do you run a blog on the latest Google My Business updates? any and all information is appreciated.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Oliver C 

To stay on top of the latest updates I would spend as much time in this forum as possible.

You can subscribe to as many threads as you want to. At the very least I would subscribe to this one - https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/News-Updates/bd-p/News_and_Updates 

Make sure to read and memorize the quality guidelines as well. And be sure to re-read them every month or so because they often get updated without any public announcement. https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en&ref_topic=4540086