My Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Ownership of various buildings on map

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

I have recently set up a Google MyBusiness account for the University where I work. The account has been verified.

I am now trying to figure out how to manage the multiple buildings across our multiple campuses and ensure that noone else has the ability to change any of our data (for example, someone in a research centre keeps changing the name of one of our buildings to the name of the research centre). 

Is it possible to 'own' the data on the map?  And also, how does Google myBusiness data link to Google Indoor Maps data?

thanks for any help!

Jennifer 

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Google My Business (GMB) is designed to manage and maintain control over consumer forward facing businesses and departments. They need their own phone number to be verified in the GMB and listed search and Maps. The process of verification gives you first dibs on suggested changes to names etc. 

Buildings, roads, paths, waterways, walkways on the other hand are map features that are created either in MapMaker (soon to be history) or directly in Maps. Those features can not be verified and the approval process for changes occurs deep in the bowels of Google's mapping organization. Inputs can come from any place.

In essence you and the someone in the research center are in a he said, she said situation and Google's minions are approving the changes. It might make sense to ferret that person out and agree to what is an appropriate name.

Perhaps the research center qualifies for their own business listing which would give them much more visibility and make the name changes to the building unnecessary. 

That being said there may be a way within MapMaker or Maps to get a "feature" like a building locked so that it can't be changed. I will check for you. 

Google Indoor Maps is a sub function of the Map world NOT the GMB but you should be able to contribute. Instructions here: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/2803784?p=gmm_guidelines&visit_id=1-636197356890712578-268119...

Before I can escalate I need to know:

What campus

What buildings

What is the correct and incorrect building name

Any and all Maps links would be useful as well. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.

It seems that what I need can't be done, namely that I be able to lock the data linked to a building to my GMB account. 

The main campus I'm concerned about is NUI Galway, in Galway City, Ireland (there are more, but locking this one down would be a good start). 

There are multiple (20+ buildings), none of which are locked down at the moment, and only a handful of which are actually highlighted on Google Maps at the moment. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/National+University+of+Ireland,+Galway/@53.276645,-9.0637917,17z/d...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Which building(s) is the one that gets the name changed?

There may be a way to lock down a building, its just not via GMB. I will check

Re: Ownership of various buildings on map

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You mean which building has the name been changed on by someone other than
me? The Biomedical Sciences building.

--
Jennifer

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

And what are they changing it to?

My idea though of creating a GMB listing for the Research Center and giving them access as Manager might solve your problem, no?

Re: Ownership of various buildings on map

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
To the name of a research centre in the building, Cúram

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, They are only one research centre within the building, we odn't want them labeling the building as their own. 

It's a symptom of a wider problem, that other units/centres/businesses on campus can alter the data on Google Maps without any oversight. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I am NOT suggesting them labeling the building but rather creating a business listing at that address. Then when searchers look for them they will them, and they will no longer have a need to change the building name. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think that the suggestion of creating a business listing for that one unit is going to solve my problem - they are only one of many units across our campuses.  What I really need is some way to own the data that is attached to a specific building?