My Business
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Order of recent reviews being displayed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the never ending battle of getting more and more good reviews on google business eventually we get a less than satisfactory one.  Aside from responding professionally, and attempting to fix the issue so the customer may consider editing or removing the review, one can always bury it with new good ones.  Which brings up my question.  What determines the order that the reviews are displayed on the review screen?  We have had numerous new good reviews but the negative one still shows up on top despite its not the newest.  or even the lowest scoring one for that matter.  I'm sure like yelp they have some sort of algorithm that displays what they believe to be the most "beneficial" for the viewer but I would like to know what that is.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Order of recent reviews being displayed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Justin,

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head - there is an algorithm but the only ones privy to it are the inner sanctum in Google :)

Unfortunately that sort of information is not given out - otherwise spammers would have a field day :)

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog

Order of recent reviews being displayed?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

My question then is: Why say they're "the most recent reviews" when they are not, in fact, the most recent review? 

I get that the algorithm just "happens" to pick the most negative review from the past 6 months and displays it on the landing page. Just don't call it the most recent.