My Business
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Only primary category showing on listing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I have a couple of verified listings on Google My Business, but neither show secondary categories, only the primary category, which obviously affects search results for the missing category. I can see the secondary category ("counsellor") when I'm logged into my Google My Business account, so I know it's there, but it's not showing on the actual listing. Please help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angelo B
June 2016

Re: Only primary category showing on listing

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You say it obviously affects rankings that there's a hidden category... but let me ask you this: do you see two categories showing for any of your competitors either? It's actually fairly challenging to see the full list of categories selected for any business that you don't have the ability to log into. Even if you find their profile on google plus (in and of itself a bit of a feat for those not in the know) it'll often have categories missing, and it won't display more than one unless you click on the primary category. If you're talking about only one category showing in the knowledge panel on the right or in the 3-pack, that's just how it works for every business. 

I took a look at your business in map maker, says you've got two categories selected: Psychotherapist, and counselor. Is that what you're intending, or are there some missing ones? 

As far as potential ranking issues go... I didn't take a real look under the hood, but I did notice you've got a second location at 20 Egerton Drive, Greenwich, London SE10 8JS, UK that uses the same phone number as your 46 Theobalds Road location. Having a shared phone number between two businesses can be problematic, and can definitely hurt rankings. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Angelo B
June 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

You say it obviously affects rankings that there's a hidden category... but let me ask you this: do you see two categories showing for any of your competitors either? It's actually fairly challenging to see the full list of categories selected for any business that you don't have the ability to log into. Even if you find their profile on google plus (in and of itself a bit of a feat for those not in the know) it'll often have categories missing, and it won't display more than one unless you click on the primary category. If you're talking about only one category showing in the knowledge panel on the right or in the 3-pack, that's just how it works for every business. 

I took a look at your business in map maker, says you've got two categories selected: Psychotherapist, and counselor. Is that what you're intending, or are there some missing ones? 

As far as potential ranking issues go... I didn't take a real look under the hood, but I did notice you've got a second location at 20 Egerton Drive, Greenwich, London SE10 8JS, UK that uses the same phone number as your 46 Theobalds Road location. Having a shared phone number between two businesses can be problematic, and can definitely hurt rankings. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Adding to what James has already answered well:

The category on the listing has a minor impact on where your business listings show. It is merely a suggestion to Google. (Obviously you wouldn't want your category to be hairdresser if you sell cars).

Far more important is what your website, business citations (listings around the web) and what your customers say about you.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog