My Business
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

One GMB listing for multiple locations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Jacobs Custom Living recently added a second location, so we created a new GMB listing for the new location and optimized it accordingly (or at least we're in the process of doing so). However, the business owner suggested there be just a SINGLE GMB listing for both locations. He is concerned someone who has found the listing for one location won't know about the other location.

I have explained the reason behind having two listings (maps, local search). Do we calm the owner's fears by ensuring both locations rank in map listings? Or is there some validity to this thinking?

Legacy location: https://plus.google.com/106866473206092356803/about

New location: https://plus.google.com/111365046379974197155/about

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: One GMB listing for multiple locations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi C2 C

there's validity to both your arguments :)

Firstly, as you've pointed out you can not have a single GMB listing for both locations - by definition that would mean one location would not be listed on Maps, and therefore regardless of how much someone searches or how much optimisation you do, potential customers will never know about that other location, unless they go to the main website.

The owner is however correct that even with two listings a potential customer may only ever see one listing - and that is exactly as Google designed it. They want searchers to find the business that best suits their needs, and in many cases this means a business that is close to them. It is pointless (in Google's eyes) to show a searcher two locations of the same business - one of which may be 3 km away and the other one 20 km away - all else being equal of course.

If the owner wants to ensure that searchers know about the other location, when they see 'legacy location' or vice versa then that's where organic SEO optimisation needs to play a part.

I hope this helps!

Priya Chandra, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
-----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter  |   Connect on G+  |   Read my Blog