My Business
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Old business appears when searching for our business name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have posted up my whole problem in another thread and it was suggested that I also post in here in order to notify the relevant person(s).

The thread is here:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/fNcV0WkrMvk;context-place=forum/maps

Here is a quick summary:

• Searching for our brand name brings up an old business name in the search engine results pages (i.e. in the knowledge box) and on the google map app
  • This business which appears is not only wrong, it is also marked as closed
  • The search term is [Keep Able Staines] - This brings up a business called Owen Hearing
  • Owen Hearing were the previous business owners at our address
  • Searching in Google Map maker for [Keep Able Staines] only brings up a listing for Owen Hearing, even when you can actually see our [Keep Able] business in the map on the right in the same spot
  • This started happening suddenly around the 14th or 15th of December
  • Searching for [Keep Able Staines-Upon-Thames] brings up the correct details (i.e. our details). Staines-Upon-Thames is the official name of the town, but is never used by anyone because this was only changed a couple of years ago.
  • When looking side by side at our two listings, we are listed as [11-17 Kingston Road, Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey TW18 4QX] whereas Owen hearing, (because it is an old, out of date listing) has the address as [11-17 Kingston Rd, Staines, Middlesex TW18 4QX]. Very similar, but the town name is slightly different - Perhaps this is why a search just for Staines is bringing them up?
  • Owen Hearing simply does not exist in this location any more and hasn't existed in this location for years. We do however, and our business name is Keep Able.
  • Because it is confusing Google and the correct business details are not being shown, I need this Owen Hearing listing completely deleted. If this is not possible, I just need to make sure it is not shown when someone is directly searching for our brand name or anything to do with the products and services we offer in this town. A searcher being given the details of a defunct business when one exists and can help with their needs is not exactly a good user experience. It is also terrible for our business presence. It's easily possible that customers are going to think that we are out of business now.
  • I can screenshot anything you need to see if you are confused by anything I have written.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me in fixing this problem. This is very serious because this branch is our busiest and most important and this has happened in the run up to Christmas.

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ryan K (Community Manager)
March 2016

Re: Old business appears when searching for our business name

Top Contributor
# 13
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard D

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Every time an answer was provided, I batted it back because it was unsuitable. So this is the best option that G can come up with due to the fact that the Owen Page is a verified listing. 

So, you need to claim ownership of the Owen Page : https://plus.google.com/116833839701271195892/about

After 7 days, contact support and they will finish the process and get it transferred to your account.

You then delete the Page, which un-verifies it and the support can then merge the account into the Keep Able account as a duplicate.

Business Support: https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

Please keep me informed, so we can monitor and make sure it goes smoothly.

To Claim Ownership:

Go to >> http://www.google.com/business/

The click >> Get onto Google ( Big Blue Top Right )

Enter the business name.>> Owen Hearing

Select the Business

It will then say :

Someone else has already verified this listing

This listing has already been verified by another user. If you want to add this listing to your account, you can make a request that will be sent to the current verified user.

Request admin rights

Request the admin right >> you will need to write a message to the current "owner" of the local page

You need to go through this process. ( wait 7 days )

Now you can contact Google Business Support to regain ownership :
https://support.google.com/business/contactflow

Here's a few examples of how this process could go:

1. We look at the owner and see if they have been active recently - if not, we notify the user that we have unverified their page and ask them to contact us if this incorrect. Over 80% of these actually come back as mailer-demons and we immediately know the user is no longer active and can't transfer ownership, in which case we unverify them and let them know. In this case, we have an issue - unverifying a page means losing the views, posts and content that has been built by the current owner.

2. We reach out to the owner and they do respond and say "yes that'd be great, lets transfer ownership." We could help them through that process and also keep the views and social content provided by the previous owner (since they are giving that data to the new owner in the transfer).

3. If we reach out to the owner and they don't respond in 7 days, we will attempt to reach out a few times through different methods (email again, phone, website portal contact paths, etc) and give them another 7 days. If there is no response we will unverify the current owner and then ask the claimant to pin verify the page again - so that we can verify they are legit. Keep in mind the process takes awhile because we want to be sure the right owner is managing the page and to give the current owner a chance to reply.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard D

As you point out, it is a new'ish address format that Google is not recognising.

I will flag this to see if we can get the old one removed, as it has been quite a few years.

PS, try and get this removed: http://www.placesinuk.net/owen-hearing-2

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard D

Ok, that has been sent to the Google Gods. Will let you know as soon as I hear anything

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tim. I've tried making a note via Google Map Maker as well. I don't think there are any other ways I can notify Google about this error.

I have requested that they remove that citation on that website you linked to.

It is very frustrating though because citations shouldn't be an issue - we have dozens and dozens of citations, we have a shop location page with the same address on it, we have an embedded map which links directly to the Google business page and the address written up in schema. I know there are a few citations remaining for this Owen Hearing place, but it is marked as closed.

Looking at it side by side, it's crazy that Google should show this old listing rather than ours! Especially when you are putting in our brand name directly!

I think getting that old one removed entirely is the easiest way of fixing this problem because even if I get all of their old citations removed it's still not guaranteed that we will get shown again, or even if it does fix itself whether this problem will rear it's head again. I think it's existence alone will always confuse Google.

Thanks again for your help Tim, I believe you helped me before about some other weird problems I was having in regards to this branch! Just as they all fixed themselves, this happens!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard D

I don't believe it is the citation that triggered it to start showing, but you never know.

I have asked if it is possible that the Owen hearing be fully deleted now. I know they need to keep listing that have closed to help customers, but you guys have been there for so long that it makes no sense to keep the Owen data.

lets hope they agree

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tim,

DO you think that it would be a good idea to change the town name in the Google business account to just Staines.

nm0L1Df

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Try it.

Staines
Staine-upon-thames
Surrey

See if it sticks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've done this now:

This whole Staines v Staines-upon-Thames thing is a mess though.

This is the Owen Hearing Listing (note I used our business name to bring it up)

This is the address it has here:

MpnCYTx

This is the address when you do a Google search for us - again, note the address - I'm not sure if I noticed this before:

jWgfMGD

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

What have you done ?  

Don't make any changes in Mapmaker to Owen listing, this could lead to more problems.

I have escalated to try and get Owen Hearing permanently removed, we just have to wait and see.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I changed the town name in the Google Business account for this branch from Staines-upon-Thames to Staines. I haven't touched the Owen Hearing since the 17th where I tried to report an error on it.

I've come back into work and nothing has changed yet. Fingers crossed.